News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Faultline bill of materials

Started by empireboy, October 30, 2010, 06:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empireboy

Hi everyone,

I am actually new here and to the world of electronics. (in other words, noob)  :)
I choose Faultline to be my first project and I have some questions regarding the bill of materials.

Yesterday I was in the electronic parts shop to buy the materials needed for the project. I presented them the list which in the faultline project file. They asked me some questions which I don't know how to answer (since I'm an electronics noob). They were talking about terms which I don't understand, at least for now. As far as I remember, they were asking me about what are the wattage, is it mylar, is it film, what are the sizes, etc...

So my question is, is there anyone here who successfully built the project have or is there someone who know of the details regarding which materials to use?

Any form of help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
James

eniacmike

I have built two faultlines successfully, I can try to help. that is a pretty big project for your first project though.

resistors - 1/4 watt metal film (if you can for low noise) if you can't get them 1/4 watt carbon will do.

C1   100n   polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C2   470n polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C3   100n polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C4   47pF ceramic disc
C5   1uF polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C6   4u7 25v radial electrolytic
C7    1n polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C8   4n7 polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C9   1n polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C10   10n polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C11   4u7 25v radial electrolytic
C12   4u7 25v radial electrolytic
C13   2n2 polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C14   2n2 polyester film box cap 5mm pitch (topmay, wima, panasonic)
C15 100uF 25v radial electrolytic

for pots you generally want to get
Alpha Single-Gang 16mm, Solder Terms, 1/4" diameter, smooth shaft, no detents. they are all A which means Audio Taper.

If your store doesn't have these parts you can get all this from small bear http://www.smallbearelec.com/

you should use this site to convert capacitor values nF to uF to make sure you get the right values.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=912 if you get this it will cover all the box caps except the 1MF which you can buy here http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=896

http://www.calculator.org/property.aspx?name=capacitance

good luck!

here is my completed build with metal film resistors/xicon 25v electrolytic resistors/topmay box caps.

I would suggest trying a bigger box for the enclosure. a hammond 1590B is a really tight fit especially if it's your first build. I used 125b size and it gave me enough extra room to work with.

-mike

Haberdasher

for your electrolytic caps, use 25 or 35 volt (c6, c11, c12, c15).  get the radial ones, not axial.  there's a posi and neg side to these caps so make sure you face them the right way.

all the rest of the caps you can use the metal "box" caps with 5mm lead spacing or mylar.  63 volts is probably about the smallest you can get with those and that is just fine.
c4 you can use ceramic, multilayer ceramic, or silver mica.

for your resistors use 1/4 watt.  people claim metal film is quieter, but I usually can't tell much difference between those and carbon film.

be careful when you are soldering in your transistors.  if you overheat them they will burn up and you will be left with a troubleshooting mess, trying to figure out which ones are dead.  many people socket these so the sockets actually get soldered in and take the heat.  then you just trim the transistors to length and plug them in.  these have to face the right way too, so pay attention to madbeans diagram.

the diode also has to face the right way too.

good luck

edit- beaten to the punch.  good job, eniacmike.  8)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

empireboy

@Mike: Thanks for this information! And the wiring colors look cool! By the way, how did you know which is which(details)? Did you just know it by looking at the PDF project file or by trial and error?
@Haberdasher: Okay thanks, so I have to very very careful then. lol.

Thanks guys. I will take note of the information that you gave me. Hopefully, when I go to the store they wont ask me the questions again because I now have the details. ;D

This got me very excited. My next step would be to study how to etch presensitized pcb. =))

Thanks and have a nice day!
James

eniacmike

In general you can just look at the parts layout and if it is a circle use an elecrolytic, a square use a box cap, and an oval is a cermic disc.

some madbean projects call for axial lead caps and they will have a larger rounded rectangle (see the snack shack, rangemaster, zygote mojo edition, etc.

-mike

myopcjedi

Awesome info. I'm taking notes on these kind of tips for a Slambox I'm going to start on soon, and its stuff like this that really helps. That calculator link should help me finish up ordering everything, and come in very handy in the future.
Thanks!

empireboy

Unfortunately, box cap's are not available locally. I might go for the Uproar project, not unless it has box caps in it. Thanks for the information anyway. :)

Haberdasher

You can use film instead of box.  The panasonic ecq series (or similar) should work like a charm.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Quote from: empireboy on November 27, 2010, 03:42:12 PM
Unfortunately, box cap's are not available locally. I might go for the Uproar project, not unless it has box caps in it. Thanks for the information anyway. :)

Most projects (All?) have caps in them. Box caps are just one type of film cap - there's lots of different types of caps you can use there, box caps just happen to be an easy to use type. They're very common, easy to find, and I will send you some in the mail if you just plain can't find them anywhere it's financially feasible. It may cost you a couple bucks and a few days, but if you need caps, please let me know before you give up on the project!

Or at least sell me your PCB's...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

empireboy

Good to know that I can use film instead of box caps.
I knew it's too early to give up.
Thanks!! :)