News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eldanko Mystery Auction Pedal (Madbean special member auction content)

Started by LaceSensor, November 18, 2012, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi guys

Following from my Multiplex build, here is another PT2399 based effect.
Ive had the PCB for this for what seems like forever, waiting for the right time to build it.
I decided having consulted with Eldanko (who won my charity auction) that it would be a good option for him, as he said he liked modulation effects rather than a fuzz/OD type effort.

For those that dont know, Bean ran a donations/auction forum for a couple weeks to generate charitable cash for a member who really needed help with some medical bills. I am fortunate enough to have private health care insurance and live where even if I didnt, I could get cared for (just about) by the NHS. Anyway, I felt compelled to help out. For the record this pedal earnt $120 towards the fund and I wanna thank Bean and Eldanko (Dane) for making this happen.

This is one of the hardest to wire pedals Ive done, ever. 8 pots, 4 switches.
Everything worked off the bat however, then it was a case of deciding what size box to go with (1790 NS in the end, thought bigger would exclude it from most pedals boards). Then the job of deciding which options to make footswitchable - some people go for 3 or 4 footswitches on these...

The Magnus Modulus is kind of an odd pedal. Its a PT2399 based delay, with modulation in the form of both chorus AND tremolo. The trem is based on the Tremulus Lune LFO. You switch the pedal on, and can have no effects, which is interesting (well, I lie, it has a gain control so can act as a boost). Then you can engage the delay line, which covers the delay and chorus side of modulation. Then you can switch on a tremolo effect. At its craziest you can have seasick modulation delay, with tremolo, and good luck synching that to tempo!

Also, the depth control is a bit odd. To get tremolo, it needs to be almost all the way up. But with just chorus, it works well across the span of the potentiometer turn. However, if you want trem and chorus, you get a really deep chorus! Interesting, and just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, it does loads, is fun, and has a flashing LED (all the best effects have these)
Here are the all important photos:

Just need to know where to post it now :)

Lace

midwayfair

eldanko

Quote from: midwayfair on November 19, 2012, 01:40:17 AM
Eldanko's a lucky guy. This was quite the project. :)

Understatement.  I am absolutely psyched to try this thing.  Been following Lace's work for a long time... finally own a piece of it  ;D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

LaceSensor

nzCdog

Scruffie

Very nice, like the simple artwork and LED triangle  :)

Tremulus LFO but no LED/LDR combo, what's working as the variable resistance?
Works at Lectric-FX

Bret608

Not sure how I missed this! This is just unreal. You are a lucky guy Dane. Lace is quite the master of the complex builds! I'll be curious to hear your first impressions.

eldanko

pickdropper

That looks marvelous.  Very cool of Lace to do that build for the auction.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

cheers chaps. had to do a little last minute fiddling, so its not posted yet Eldanko. Might be the weekend now, due to work commitments (been to London and Glasgow the past two days, which if your UK geography is in order in polar opposites of the country, ish)

eldanko

Fiddle away, friend.  No hurry here.  You're making me miss the UK... been two years since my last visit.