News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Bear 3PDT vs Mammoth?

Started by Beedoola, November 20, 2012, 08:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

quite a difference in price. What Mammoth switch is the same grade as the ones offered by SB?

jkokura

Depends, Mammoth sells different grades of switches. Which Mammoth switch do you mean?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

The "Pro" series from Mammoth would be the closest to the the Small Bear. 

The ones for $2.45 (or whatever the quantity price is) are fine for DIY work and non production type stuff (in theory, if you were warrantying it to guys who might gig 5 nights a week with it, you'd probably want to spend a couple more bucks on a higher quality switch).  They're the same stuff as you'd get ordering from guys like PARTSPIPE on ebay, where the unit price typically runs a little under $2 a switch shipped if you order 20+.

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Beedoola

Quote from: jkokura on November 20, 2012, 08:48:58 PM
Depends, Mammoth sells different grades of switches. Which Mammoth switch do you mean?

Jacob

like what the most expensive - I think $4.50 is the most expensive one mammoth has...

jkokura

haven't made a direct comparison but...

Basically, the switches you get from Smallbear are made for Smallbear. Steve was one of the original importers of those switches that are made in South Asia. Since Smallbear started importing them, many other companies and suppliers have started importing them, there are now more manufacturers making various qualities of switches. For instance, the Cliff switches are made by the well known switch manufacturer Cliff, who make switches and jacks for Amp manufacturers often. You can get those Cliff switches from PPP for a little more than the taiwan clones.

So, all that to say, their all made overseas, and by various manufacturers with different specs. I KNOW the switches from Smallbear are great, however, I have used many switches of all the various grades from Mammoth and haven't had issues either.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

I think Cliff was bought by CHK Electronics.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BraindeadAudio

The epoxy on those 2.45 switches at mammoth is spotty. Ive had a few bad ones.

gtr2

The Tayda ones I got last time seem pretty good!  I only used Cliff in the past but have tried some others.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

The Tayda ones are fine as well, and they're 4PDT are actually quite nice.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

I've gotten switches from Smallbear, Mammoth, Tayda, Ebay and groupbuys.

Rarely had issues (maybe once?) in at least 100 switches. So, at this point, price does not equal better.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

lincolnic

For what it's worth, I just got a report today of a pedal I built for someone who took it on tour (to Australia!) with one of the cheaper Mammoth 3PDTs inside, and apparently it broke on the first night. At this point I don't know if something broke inside the switch, or if it got smashed on the way to Australia, or what, so I'm willing to chalk it up to bad luck. Still, I'm considering replacing the switch with a different kind once I get it back on the workbench.

nzCdog

Quote from: lincolnic on November 28, 2012, 05:31:32 AM
For what it's worth, I just got a report today of a pedal I built for someone who took it on tour (to Australia!) with one of the cheaper Mammoth 3PDTs inside, and apparently it broke on the first night. At this point I don't know if something broke inside the switch, or if it got smashed on the way to Australia, or what, so I'm willing to chalk it up to bad luck. Still, I'm considering replacing the switch with a different kind once I get it back on the workbench.

Urgh... that sucks!   :(  As a kiwi I would tend to blame Australians for that fault tho  ;) ;D

blakemoth

Quote from: lincolnic on November 28, 2012, 05:31:32 AM

Make sure to let us know when something like that happens. Shoot me your info at blake@mammothelectronics.com, and we'll get you some new ones right away. I'll even toss in a sample or two of our Pro series so you can compare. We still stand by our normal Taiwan Blue ones, though.

Thanks!

insomniac2295

I haven't noticed any quality differences between the SmallBear switches and the Mammoth switches

lincolnic

Quote from: blakemoth on November 30, 2012, 07:18:31 PM
Make sure to let us know when something like that happens. Shoot me your info at blake@mammothelectronics.com, and we'll get you some new ones right away. I'll even toss in a sample or two of our Pro series so you can compare. We still stand by our normal Taiwan Blue ones, though.

Thanks!

You're a good one, Blake. I'll shoot you an email now.