News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy + Pork Barrel for modulated delays?

Started by Isaiah, October 24, 2012, 09:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaiah

Hi all,

I have a Pork Barrel that I plan to build as a Chorus/Vibrato.
I've been thinking about boxing it with an Aquaboy when the PCBs become available.
As well as allowing Chorus/Vibrato into Delay (or either effect seperately), I thought it would be interesting to add a switch that places the Chorus in the Feedback loop of the Delay (fed from the wiper of the Feedback pot).
I believe this would work and produce different results compared to the more usual method of modulating the delay time.
I haven't had the chance to approximate this yet (using a Delay pedal with seperate Dry/Wet outputs and a Chorus pedal on the Aux sends of a mixer).
I'll get around to testing it before I commit to building anything, but I'm just curious to hear any thoughts on this.
Would there be much point in this approach versus simply building an Aquaboy Deluxe.

Also, am I right in thinking that an external feedback loope could be added to the Aquaboy that overrides, or works in parallel with, the internal feedback loop?
I think it would only require a few extra resistors, caps, sockets (switched, or add a toggle switch) and a pot.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts and suggestions!

Cheers!

stecykmi

in general, adding an effects loop in the feedback loop of a delay has been done before. I don't think it'll sound exactly the same as a modulated delay time, but probably fairly close. personally, I would just build it as an all-purpose effects loop so that any type of effect could be inserted.

I would put it between the middle lug of the feedback pot and the cap.

Isaiah

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen a few delays with external feedback loops before (Moog MF-104).

I plan to take the Send from the feedback wiper as you said, but feed it through a large cap with a pull-down resistor at the output.
The Return will feed the cap that originally connected to the wiper, but with a large pull-down resistor at the input.
This should prevent any pops when switching the external loop on/off.

A Vibrato placed in the feedback loop should be able to produce modulated-delay sounds.
All of the delayed signal is Frequency Modulated (by a LFO) in both instances (Vibrato and Modulated-Delay).
A Chorus in the feedback loop should sound different, though. Think about it - Chorus is the sum of the dry and FM'd signal, not just the latter which is the case with Vibrato...

I think your suggestion about having an open-ended feedback loop is best.
Though I still intend to build both circuits in one box and maybe include switches to allow place the CE-2 in the feedback loop without having to use patch cables.