News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping Diodes Switch Arrangement

Started by electricb, November 01, 2012, 11:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricb

***edit*** Sorry...I just realized I have this in the wrong section. It should be in Open Discussion, but here is my question anyway:

I have a quick question for you experts out there. I am trying to make my own PCB layout for an overdrive I'm working on. I'd like to include a switch to select between 1N914 or 3mm LED clipping diodes (diode clip to ground). I was looking at some schematics for pedals that do this and noticed that some have the common lug of the DPDT tied to ground and the switch selects which set are in the circuit (see Madbean's Slow Loris for an example). Other pedals have what looks to be a similar arragement, but the common lug is tied to the signal path (see the Kingslayer for an example)

My question is: are these essentially the same thing and if so, is there one that is better to use for a tighter layout?

Also, could I use a DIP switch instead of a DPDT to obtain the same effect but also giving me the option of having both sets of diodes at the same time if for some reason it doesn't sound terrible.

This is probably a newbie question, but I'm just getting into schematics and layouts on my own. Thanks for any help in advance!

midwayfair

Quote from: electricb on November 01, 2012, 11:52:55 PM
***edit*** Sorry...I just realized I have this in the wrong section. It should be in Open Discussion, but here is my question anyway:

I have a quick question for you experts out there. I am trying to make my own PCB layout for an overdrive I'm working on. I'd like to include a switch to select between 1N914 or 3mm LED clipping diodes (diode clip to ground). I was looking at some schematics for pedals that do this and noticed that some have the common lug of the DPDT tied to ground and the switch selects which set are in the circuit (see Madbean's Slow Loris for an example). Other pedals have what looks to be a similar arragement, but the common lug is tied to the signal path (see the Kingslayer for an example)

My question is: are these essentially the same thing and if so, is there one that is better to use for a tighter layout?

Also, could I use a DIP switch instead of a DPDT to obtain the same effect but also giving me the option of having both sets of diodes at the same time if for some reason it doesn't sound terrible.

This is probably a newbie question, but I'm just getting into schematics and layouts on my own. Thanks for any help in advance!

The only thing that matters is whether the diodes have a path from the signal path to ground. The switch forms a shunt -- interrupt the path and they do not complete a circuit. Remember, in a circuit, things only do their things when they're connected to other things. (Though sometimes some things are ze goggles. ;)) Also, the switch does not need to have two poles. One pole is sufficient, since there are common connections in the diode pairs, meaning you only need to make or break on connection.

If you want an option for both at the same time and you don't need a diode lift option, it's probably easier to use an on-on-on switch. They're a little harder to come by, though. Unless you're putting the DIP switches inside, then, yes, they're easier.

electricb

Thanks midwayfair. That's what I thought, but then I confused myself and needed a second opinion. I think I am going to go with a 3-way internal dip switches in the end and have 3 clipping options (plus a diode lift when all are off).