News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power supply for digital bitcrusher layout?

Started by bigrigg, October 27, 2012, 02:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigrigg

hello,
I've breadboarded this schematic, but I just don't know how to power it all up?  I'm thinking 2 9 volts in series to give 18v supply.  Then to a 12 v reg and also a 5 v regulator for the circuit.  Do both regulators and all components share a common ground?  Does the (12 v -) from the chip go to the 12 v reg out or ground etc.  Ultimately, if someone knows or could draw the remaining power + and - supplies for the schematic, that would be fantastic.  Thanks for any help.  Schematic found here as well....
http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Fuzz%20and%20Fuzzy%20Noisemakers/Digital%20fuzz.bmp

hammerheadmusicman

What about a voltage doubler like in the fatpants v2? That would give you around 17v i think? someone else may (will) know more than me though..
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

bigrigg

I could use a road rage board as well. I've made them as well.  It's not so much how to get over 12 v for the circuit supply as how to wire all the (+) and (-) you know? thanks

midwayfair

You can't just use two regulators with a single voltage source to get what you need. You have to use a charge pump or a total of three batteries.

You can use a charge pump to create the -12v  -- the pins that get that are marked already. The datasheet for a charge pump (use the 1044) will tell you how to get an inverted supply greater than -9v from the chip. That -12v is not ground or a limited voltage supply, it's another, inverted, voltage source.

You also need +5v for the digital supply. You can get that with a regulator. Just tap it pre-charge pump, at the +9v of the voltage source. Again, the pins are marked in the schematic already.

The ground points all get connected together, with the off-board grounding scheme the same as normal builds.

bigrigg

Thanks very much Jon.  I don't understand if the Road Rage can supply and inverted power supply beyond 9v?  I've used them for positive ground effects already.  I don't see it offering 12,15 v etc as a negative supply?  Do you or anyone else know if it's possible or will I need to make another inverter/pump?  Thank  you again.

bigrigg

With a tiny amount of searching...is this correct?  Simply use a tc1044scpa chip supply and ground with normal 9v.  Use a electro cap 10uf or greater across pins 2+4 and then pin 5 is 12 v negative supply?
Please advise if my little brain has got this figured out?  Thanks

bigrigg

Alright, well my little old brain figured this out and if anyone else cares to know......

18 v supply to a 12 v reglator to the pin 8 of 1044 IC.  2 10 uf caps are used with the 1044 IC.  One from pin 2 and 4 and one from pin 5 and 3.  Common ground to all and 12 v - is supplied at pin 5.  yaaaa