News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A number of posts regarding "static" during the sweep on the Weener Wah...

Started by frankie5fingers, May 25, 2012, 01:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

... Including one from me. Lots of suggestions as to why (trannie saturation) and also how to stop it. In my case, bumping R4 up gave a great medium between noisy and lower noise, with a puking depth, super sweep and tone.  Taking that value to 470 or even 510 cured it completely, but at the cost of some depth. Now this is simply THE best wah I ever played, but when I deviated from the suggested values, I did get a little of that static type sound.  I tried a few things as others have. Sticking with the spec'd BC549 and 2n3565 per the instructions, produces an absolutely quiet wah, even with a 200 or 220 Ohm in R2 and 10n or 15n in C1 and C5, but when you experiment around with different transistors and cap values it looks like some folks may experience some degree of that static-y sound. Anyway, I was surfing around and saw an article from gaussmarkov regarding a particular wah circuit.  I realize he's not talking about the Weener circuit, but there may be something to it. This is the quote:
"Initially I used 1uF film caps for C2 and C5, but I got DC leakage that resulted in a crackling noise, like a bad pot, at the treble end of the wah's range. It seems that the polar nature of electrolytic caps is an advantage here (perhaps tantalum caps would work even better, but I haven't tried them)."
Maybe there's nothing to it, but it seems it's not confined to one circuit design and also that maybe the fix isn't the values but the composition, or a combination of both.  I plan to make another wah so I'll have a more traditional CMcoy style too, so I'll socket and try 'em out.  FWIW.

k.rock!

Interesting. I've been meaning to put together a Weener Wah so this is good to know. Thanks for sharing this man :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

sgmezei

Hey I know this hasn't been posted in for awhile.

I just finished my weener wah and it sounds awesome. I did Timbo's mods using a 15n for c1 and a 10n for c5. I omitted the freq pot and c6.

The wah sounds great but I am getting alot of static at the top end of the pot. It sounds good but there is intermittent harsh scratchiness at the treble end.

Any Ideas?

alexradium

Spray some pot cleaner ,it has a lubricant effect that will also make it more durable

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sgmezei

If you read the first post at the top I am not sure that is the problem. I will try it for sure though. Doesn't quite sound like a bad/scratchy pot. It's a different type of noise.