News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle issue(s)

Started by studiodunn, October 08, 2012, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiodunn

First off, Hello and thank you to everyone here. This place has been a huge help in getting me started.
And I would like to thank Jacob for the tester instructions. That is easily the best thing I've soldered and something I am sure I will spend ALLOT of time using.
Although I wish my first thread was a build report, it is in fact a need for knowledge.
I know just enough to get in trouble..........and then I start messing with stuff.

Project: Snarkdoodle
Problem: No output.
When i check it with the audio probe, I get full effect at the #3 lug of the volume, but nothing At #2 or the out of the board.

I was getting intermitent signal at C5, where I had used a 10uf Tantelum, so I replaced with an electrolytic. That seemed to get the effect all the way to the #3 lug, but nothing from there.

Again, I am building with very little knowledge on the actual inner workings of the circuit. I can solder and build with confidence, but as far as component to component workings.........I'm working on it.

Thanks - Denzil

midwayfair

Sounds like you have a short at the output. Take your DMM and measure continuity from lug 2 to ground -- it'll probably beep. Check that R6 is the right value. inspect carefully for solder bridges. Make sure your output is connected. :P Make extra sure the pot isn't wired backwards.

Tantalum or electrolutic shouldn't matter and would not cause intermittent problems. Intermittent problems are usually a soldering issue. But leave it as-is for now.

studiodunn

Quote from: midwayfair on October 08, 2012, 07:39:05 PM
Sounds like you have a short at the output. Take your DMM and measure continuity from lug 2 to ground -- it'll probably beep. Check that R6 is the right value. inspect carefully for solder bridges. Make sure your output is connected. :P Make extra sure the pot isn't wired backwards.

Tantalum or electrolutic shouldn't matter and would not cause intermittent problems. Intermittent problems are usually a soldering issue. But leave it as-is for now.

Thanks Jon.
No continuity across 2 to ground.
I do get the beep from 2 to Out, but no signal pass through or sometimes very faint signal.
R6 is 1M
I've been over the board 4 times with a jewelers glass, no bridges and all connections look good
output is hooked up and pots are correct.

The pots have a swell to them when being turned......delayed effect. I have also noticed that even when using the probe off of 3 the effect isn't stable. It to has some swelling and outright overload going on.
Not that this explains any of my original problem, but I'm wondering if the IC is bad to start.