News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

tropical fish capacitors?

Started by jalmonsalmon, October 01, 2012, 03:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

Silly question before I hit up GOOGLE but,
Where do you get these tropical fish capacitors for a wahwah? with Proper values of course  hehee

anyone?
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

jkokura

They're NOS type parts, not in production, so it's hit or miss. You could try eBay, but they'll be pricey.

CJ used to run a shop and sold some, so he might have more resources than I do.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jrod

Be careful if you do find them. I have bought some that were dried out and crumbled when I barely bent the legs. Same goes for "mustard" caps.

PimpMyTone

I have hundreds of tropical fish and belive me , they dont sound better than modern polyfilm caps . But they look great of course  ... just my two cents  ;)
Simon

jalmonsalmon

Yeah I am going for the looks and I found a couple for my wah that should work out LOL
stay tuned for pics of the wah when it is done!  hehee
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

culturejam

They basically suck. They are essentially ceramic caps with a pretty exterior. Do yourself a favor and put some film caps in that wah. If you want to go neo-Mojo, get some WIMA box caps.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

frankie5fingers

Another vote for "so dry they crumble".  I've gotten several from a few different Ebay sources from $2.50 to $5.00 per.  On average, half were OK (just OK - tested within 25-30%), the others very brittle.  Frankly, for my money, there are quite a few alternatives with just as much mojo and better tone than the dried ones....  Though they do look awfully cool.

culturejam

Somebody needs to make box caps with the tropical fish look to them. That would be hot.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects