News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First order from Tayda, some thoughts....

Started by DutchMF, October 06, 2012, 07:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

When the last discount coupon for Tayda hit this forum I decided it was time to try them out, so I placed a big (well, for me) order. Overall, I'm quite impressed, especially by the cheap shipping (Singapore to Holland for $11) and the pricing of their parts. I do have a few observation, maybe someone can comment?

1: They don't count very carefully - I ordered 30 DIP8 sockets and got 25. Not really complaining here, they are only $0.02 a piece, and I got over 30 resistors and 10 box caps more than I ordered  ??? Anyone had this experience as well?

2: All the types of switches I ordered (except the momentary DPDT's) seem a little less sturdy than the ones I got from Banzai previously. Any thoughts on their durability? Of course, you get what you pay for, and they are cheap, so again not complaining, just curious.

I think I'll probably order from them again, cause you can't beat those prices! Lots of parts sorting and soldering to do!

Paul

Edit: when they start selling Alpha pcb mount pots and a couple of IC's needed for chorusy/flangy projects, it's one-stop shopping! We should start a campaign.....
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

We just found that their enclosures are as cheap or cheaper than we can get them in the UK and they polish up nicer (most of ours are polished finish now) and we've not had any issues on quantities.

We're still down to 3 major distributors of parts (Rapid/Farnell/Tayda) and loads odd ones that we get the odd things we can't get anywhere else (Smallbear/Bitsbox/DasMusikding/etc).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

somnabula

How do you deal with the taxes from customs? On big orders those costs must be huge.  :o
That's holding me back from doing big orders outside of Europe. I always try to keep my orders below 20 euros.

I think for most stuff, musikding is the shop to go to for European mainlanders.
They have almost everything you might need for pedal building (apart from some special condensator values germanium diodes and ic's) and they also seem to be a bit cheaper (both product prices as shippuing) then banzai
Recently they also started selling the angled pcb mount pots at 1,30euro a piece, which seems reasonable if you do the apple conversion rule of 1$=1€  ::) and compare to smallbear.

For the rest I mainly use futurlec (which are slow in shipping) and ebay.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, and I don't get paid to say this, just trying to help out the people for whom smallbear is not an option.  :)

juansolo

*touches wood* customs haven't intercepted any so far...

Once they start, it'll limit option somewhat again. Only a matter of time I suppose.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jurassic

Quote from: somnabula on October 06, 2012, 08:40:19 AM
How do you deal with the taxes from customs? On big orders those costs must be huge.  :o
That's holding me back from doing big orders outside of Europe. I always try to keep my orders below 20 euros.

I made a big order from Tayda and got the parts yesterday. I didn't have to deal with customs/taxes at all. The order value was marked on the box (52 Singapore dollars and according to google that would be around 32€). In reality my order was around 180€ with shipping..When I made the order, I didn't remember that Tayda was shipping outside Europe and I wasn't thinkin about the possible taxes at all. Well, I got lucky this time. :)

I have made small orders for years (mainly from musikding.de and banzai) and decided that it was time to save some money on the long run and buy all the most common parts/values (capacitors, resistors, transistors etc.) in bulk. Anyway, I can highly recommend Tayda. Shipping was pretty fast and prices are really good.

gtr2

Also, don't forget to measure at least one component for every value package.  They make mistakes once on a while.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

culturejam

Quote from: gtr2 on October 06, 2012, 01:03:30 PM
Also, don't forget to measure at least one component for every value package.  They make mistakes once on a while.

Hell yes. For caps, check the part value on the case to make sure it's the right value. They've sent me the wrong value of something half a dozen times. And recently they sent all the right parts, but the bags they were in were labelled wrong.

But they still rock since the selection is great, prices are low, and the quality is generally pretty good.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

DutchMF

OK, that's quite the response so far! As stated in some of the other replies, I didn't consider taxes when ordering, but the value they put on the package ($28) was way off from the actual value ($150). I think we should not speak of this anymore, forum-wise, as maybe the customs officers are following us (paranoia setting in in a BIG way here  ;))

But anyway, how about that campaign to get them to sell pcb-mounted pots and some of our preferred IC's? Anybody game for that? And I would really like to hear some reports about those switches I mentioned, durability-wise..... Your experiences with those would be much appreciated!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on October 06, 2012, 04:10:37 PM
OK, that's quite the response so far! As stated in some of the other replies, I didn't consider taxes when ordering, but the value they put on the package ($28) was way off from the actual value ($150). I think we should not speak of this anymore, forum-wise, as maybe the customs officers are following us (paranoia setting in in a BIG way here  ;))

But anyway, how about that campaign to get them to sell pcb-mounted pots and some of our preferred IC's? Anybody game for that? And I would really like to hear some reports about those switches I mentioned, durability-wise..... Your experiences with those would be much appreciated!

Paul
I've been saying they should stock solid shaft right angle PCB mount pots for ages, that'd pretty much make them perfect.

Oh and LT1054s.

ICs, I can't really think of much they don't have i'd normally use, for chorus they're not gunna stock MN3007 but they could get BL3207 I guess, might be a bit speciality for them though.

Switches & Toggles seem fine to me, should last long enough and i've not had any issues so far.
Those black jacks they sell are a little on the weak side and it'd be nice if the jacks would actually go all the way in on them.
Works at Lectric-FX

pickdropper

Supposedly they were planning on adding 9mm Alpha pots.  That would be fantastic.  I also put in a request for surface mount PT2399s; I hope they add those at some point.

I've bought their toggle switches, but I think I am going to get them elsewhere in the future as they are a bit flimsy compared to others I have purchased.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper