News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler build forthcoming - NPN or PNP?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, September 21, 2012, 02:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

So other than than negative or positive ground differences, How different do the NPN vs PNP Ge trannys sound?  I know it's mostly preference, but is their general perceived quality that they each posess? Getting ready to buy and looking for a general idea.

Bret608

I've read that PNP might be a little brighter and NPN a little darker. I'm sure much more experienced fuzz builders will have a lot to add!

GhostofJohnToad

you are probably right, but that's just the sort of info I'm looking for.

JakeFuzz

Yep, in my experience NPN has more bottom end. It can be overpowering sometimes and it makes things little muddier but that's what I have found (from a relatively small sample size mind you). Dane's bearodactyl II fuzz has both in the same pedal on a switch so he may have better A/B comparison notes. Personally I like NPN but the PNP's sound unique as well.

pryde

I built my FF with NPN CV7112 (mil spec OC140's) transistors from smallbear. Absolutely wonderful tone. Like jakefuzz said, very full low end and just an all around "big" sound when dimed. However, being Ge they clean up perfectly with the vol rolled back.

I have not built a played a FF I like better....so far  ;)

GhostofJohnToad

of course it figures, Smallbear is out of them.  :(

pryde

It looks like he has some individual ones (used for Rangemaster builds). Maybe if you email him he could match a set for you for a FF build?

EDIT: He has matched sets of the NPN OC140's here:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1094

GhostofJohnToad

Well, pulled the trigger on the "Continental" set as well as getting a OC44 for a rangemaster.  Still debating on if I want to combine them in the same box ala SunLion.  Oh the decisions. 

Thanks, for the info on the PNP vs NPN.

Om_Audio

Hey Paul, do you recall what you put in the Zombii (FF) I got from you? How would I figure it out? I do remember you said they were unlabeled from someone down in SD or something.
I am getting closer to start some more builds and get to next level with testing and socketing components.
Thx,
C

Ps, sorry for OT but is transistor related. ;D
Sent via soup cans and string.

JakeFuzz

Cliff, yeah I picked those up from an old radio/TV repair shop down in San Diego that was closing. They should be 2Nxxx equivalents; they were NOS though if I remember right which is nice and tough to find sometimes (new leads). They were marked as small signal transistors and the old dude knew they were 2N404 equivalents. I believe these were in the typical gain ranges for a FF (~70 and ~120) but It's been a really long time. You could pull them out and run them into a tester; if I remember right you will have to pull the board out a little to get the transistors out of the socket.

Also to the OP you will not regret the continental set. They are my favorite FF transistors by miles. Do a build report and let us know what you think. I have two OC44 waiting for rangemasters too; I wouldn't find the combo of a FF and RM useful together but individually they are two essential effects on my board, so having them both in one box may be nice.

Om_Audio

GhostofJohnToad

Om_Audio

pryde

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on September 22, 2012, 10:22:25 PM
26 per matched set

Yes they are steep but if you are a FF fanatic they are worth it. NPN is also nice as you can build it straight-up negative ground and power it like most other pedals.

GermanCdn

A little bit off topic (sorry), I just finished building a Mangler with a match AC128 set, sounds very nice, with a Road rage built in.

After building it, I seemed to recall that Visual Sound makes a reverse polarity adapter for the One spot (in fact, I'm pretty sure I have one lying around).  So, if you used that for the positive ground, could you still dasiy chain it, or would you need a dedicated isolated power source?
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.