News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nooooob!!! (EgoDriver Parts?)

Started by poorman, September 22, 2012, 11:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorman

Hi all, first post from total noob here (let the hazing begin!!!).  I will have many dumb questions...so apologies in advance.

I'm definitely no expert with electronics.  More of a tinkerer with a soldering iron, but I have built 3 GGG pedals (2 successful, 1 bomb)

I own a V3 Fulltone OCD pedal which is my favorite OD I've ever heard.  I want another but I'd rather not shell out all that money so I was very excited to find the EgoDriver here.   Thank you, Madbean.

The GGG kits I have worked with come with all the parts.  So as I source parts for the EGO I'm encountering some issues.  Hence a long list of stupid noob questons will almost surely follow.

To start with...
1.  The bill of materials calls for (2) 25v 10uF radial electrolytic caps.  I can't find 25v anywhere...is 50v ok?
2.  Capacitors...what kind/type/brand and where is the best place to buy them?
3.  In staying true to the original OCD design I want to omit the LED clipping, do I simply omit the LEDs or is there more to it?
4.  Super noob question:  Are carbon film resistors and metal film resistor always tan and blue respectively?

And lastly...the biggie...

Is there a comprehensive "shopping list" for the EGO floating around anywhere?

Thanks!

murdog47

Mouser.com is my favorite place to get components. I usually get all of my capacitors, resistors, IC chips, transistors, and diodes from them.  It is tricky at first to navigate but well worth it to figure out.  50v is fine in place of 25v. The thing you want to watch for is the size.  As the voltage on electrolytics goes up so usually goes the size.  When you shop on Mouser you can see the diameter and height of the caps.  I try to stick with a max 6.5mm diameter and try to stay under 11mm height.  The lead spacing is also something you will want to watch for. 2mm or 2.5mm is usually good for electrolytics and 5mm for film caps.  My electrolytics ("uf" on Madbean BOMs) are usually Panasonic or Nichicon. My film caps ("n" on Madbean BOM's) are usually Kemet, EPCOS, or Cornell Dubilier. My ceramic disc caps ("pf" on Madbean BOM's) are usually Xicon.  I get my knobs, pots, and other items not stocked by Mouser through Mammoth Electronics and enclosures through Pedal Parts Plus. Also check out this link below for further assistance shopping. Good luck!

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2970.0

poorman

Good info.  Thank you.

Mouser...wow.  Pretty overwhelming.  Looking at Panasonic film caps.

I searched under 667-ecq-v1h per your link...I am getting multiple .047uf caps that appear (to my eyes) to be the same, but different part numbers.

for example.  .047uf caps come in part numbers:
667-ECQ-V1H473JL5
667-ECQ-V1H473JL3
667-ECQ-V1H473JL

What's the deal?

Haberdasher

the 473 means 47nF.  (474 would be 470nF.  472 would be 4n7, etc)
the J means 5% tolerance.  not sure about the rest.
I also usually look for the film caps with voltages between 50 and 100v, where 63v is probably the most common.  but if those you listed meet the criteria listed by murdog then they will likely work just fine.

smallbear is easier to order from your first couple of times because it's harder to make a mistake.  everything they sell there is pretty well geared towards stomp boxes, and you can get everything you need to build a pedal in one stop (pay shipping once).  whereas mouser carries a VAST assortment of things, and they don't have 3dpt switches for example.  at least not the last time I checked...
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

murdog47

The way I shop Mouser...

I start off by selecting passive components from the menu on the left of the homepage
Then select what you are looking for...I start with resistors
Then I choose film resistors
Then Metal Film through hole
Then select the specifics that you want with the exception of the value (i.e. value (stick to 1 or 5 % for resistors) and axial)
Then I check the "stocked" check box and apply filters
From there you can input value, add your part to your shopping cart, and then click back two pages and still have all of your filters. Now just select your next value.

I do this with all of my orders in this order...Resistors, film capacitors, electrolytic capacitors, ceramic capacitors.

Diodes, IC's, and transistors are easiest to just search by their part number :)