News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

uproar tone mod help

Started by angrykoko, September 01, 2012, 08:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

I would like to make my uproar more trebbly.

Has anyone done any tone mods like this?
Would love any ideas. 

Thanks!
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

sgmezei

angrykoko

Thanks sgmezei,

I did that mod a while ago but, somehow overlooked the comment about "starting" at 47nf and up to 100n.
I'll start playing around with that cap.

This seems like it will be a killer pedal if I can get the basic tone out of it more to my liking.

Thanks!
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

sgmezei

To tell you the truth, I haven't done the mod yet and my uproar is just sitting in a box haha. I remember there was a TON of gain on tap though.

nzCdog

That tone mod is more of a LPF for the whole pedal, prolly won't be a 'get more highs' fix.

I remember spending some time socketing some values... have a look here.  TCL2272 was a better sounding opamp too IIRC

angrykoko

Quote from: nzCdog on September 03, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
That tone mod is more of a LPF for the whole pedal, prolly won't be a 'get more highs' fix.

I remember spending some time socketing some values... have a look here.  TCL2272 was a better sounding opamp too IIRC

Oh cool.  I'll start trying different caps in those positions.
I've got a couple TCL2272's on order, cant wait to try them.

Did you do the alternate clipping wiring with the on/on/on switch?  I was wondering how much difference that made as I cant really tell much of a difference between the clipping  positions using the standard switch and wiring  (or could it be that I have water clear red led's instead of diffused?)

Thanks again!

nzCdog

Yes I did the clipping switch, 'presence' and 'SDMB' mods... the clipping change is subtle but noticeable.  I used 1n34As, clear blue LED and RED diffused LEDs, 1n914s, 1n4148s (I think by looking at the pic).  Maybe check your double check your diode polarities if you hear no difference.  Biggest change to overall EQ was through tweaking the cap values mentioned... all there in the other other thread.  A significant part of the tone I got in that clip was from amp breakup tho, this pedal sounds nice running into a slightly overdriven amp.   :)

angrykoko

There is a difference between the clipping sw positions, it's just very subtle.

So I swapped the caps to match yours, it didn't give me what I was looking for but... I kind of like it.  I think I'll keep it this way for now.  I think I may have a bad solder joint on one of the new caps though.. my presence sw is giving a nasty pop now the first time it's engaged.

Thanks guys!

Here's a pic.

And here's everything I think is wrong in the pic:
Need to clean up the wires a bit... and add an LED... put something better than a piece of cardboard taped to the side of the enclosure to insulate the bottom of the board from the tone pot.. pretty sure my shielded wire is pointless too  ;D

nzCdog

Cool... those ICs you ordered might make a difference to the high end too :)