News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blackstone Appliances potentiometers

Started by irmcdermott, September 05, 2012, 12:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey guys,

I've been searching but don't have a clue what they are called. Does anyone know what those flathead screwdriver adjusted pots that Blackstone Appliances uses in their MOSFET drive? Have a pretty unique request on my bench that would require one.

midwayfair

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 05, 2012, 12:45:07 AM
Hey guys,

I've been searching but don't have a clue what they are called. Does anyone know what those flathead screwdriver adjusted pots that Blackstone Appliances uses in their MOSFET drive? Have a pretty unique request on my bench that would require one.

Someone suggested that Blackstone simply used board-mounted smooth split shaft pots and mounted the board to the lid. Get the height right and the holes the right size and it looks pretty much perfect.

It that doesn't work for your build, in all seriousness, you'll probably need to make them. I searched for days to find something already fabbed like this because my buddy wanted me to use them on a build. The only ones I could find were too large to fit in a pedal and expensive.

It's possible to take a pot apart and then reassemble it. You can remove the shaft, hacksaw it to length and use a very small hacksaw or file to cut the screwdriver hole in it.

irmcdermott

I've found these to start. Says the shaft length is only .33 inches. maybe with some math and correct standoffs i can get this to sit flush with the top of the enclosure...

irmcdermott

I actually think that with the PCB standoff that is 1/4 inch, when you take into account the thickness of the enclosure, you'd be pretty darn close...

midwayfair

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 05, 2012, 01:01:31 AM
I actually think that with the PCB standoff that is 1/4 inch, when you take into account the thickness of the enclosure, you'd be pretty darn close...

Good pull! And they're mighty cheap. They might need some help staying put on the enclosure, though. They've got solder lugs. Maybe double sided tape?

I might pick some of these up with my next mouser order so my friend stops bugging me. I'ma make him something with 15 pots. It'll cure him of his desire for complexity, or give him a complex. Or something.

frankie5fingers

Not sure what Blackstone uses, but here's a few dozen "slot adjust, single turn" pots. they're out there.
http://www.surplussales.com/Potentiometers/PCM-SlotAdj/PCM-SlotAdj-1.html
http://www.surplusales.com/Potentiometers/PBM-SlotAdj/PBM-SlotAdj-4.html
Frank