News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Concentric pot options

Started by Luke51411, February 13, 2015, 12:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I have an idea for a build where I want to use concentric pots, I haven't decided on a circuit yet but it looks like there is a good chance I will need one of the pots to have two different values. I don't want to use a huge 25mm pot to something like that either. If not a pot with different values en maybe something that could be taken apart and swap the wafer for a different value? I like the ones smallbearelec has but they are the 9mm kind, I don't think those would be very modable. I suppose I could use parallel resistance if I can't find any other reasonable options.

stecykmi

you can turn a large-value pot into a smaller value by putting a resistor in parallel. it changes the taper however, which can effect operation in some cases.

that said, i'm interested in this too. something like the pots on the BOSS metal zone would be amazing.

Luke51411

Quote from: stecykmi on February 13, 2015, 01:10:29 AM
you can turn a large-value pot into a smaller value by putting a resistor in parallel. it changes the taper however, which can effect operation in some cases.

that said, i'm interested in this too. something like the pots on the BOSS metal zone would be amazing.
Right, I'd prefer not to do that if possible. I have a krankosaurus board here which has 2 100k audio and 5kc which I thought I could replace with a 5k linear but smallbearelec doesn't have those either.

m-Kresol

in one of Aion electronics project build docs there's a tutorial how to replace one of the tapers in a dual-ganged pot. Maybe that helps
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

aion

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 13, 2015, 08:27:49 AM
in one of Aion electronics project build docs there's a tutorial how to replace one of the tapers in a dual-ganged pot. Maybe that helps

Here's the document for reference - turning a dual 10kA into a 10kA/10kC:
https://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/aion-chroma-sp1-documentation.pdf

Luke51411

Cool thanks! I ended up just going with a klon for this one with separate controls for the dual pot and getting the 9mm concentrics from smallbear. I'm planning on wiring it so that when both knobs are at the same spot it will be like a stock klon.