News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help debugging a really quiet wolfshirt

Started by non-reverse, August 26, 2012, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non-reverse

I populated a pre Jan 2012 Wolfshirt board (using 2n3904 trannys) this morning and attempted to rock it before boxing it but found that the output while heavily distorted and octaved was very low.  So, I checked the underside for solder bridges but when I didn't find any, I broke out the trusty DMM and audio probe to see what I could find.  Here goes.

Tracing the signal with the audio probe, my guitar signal was clearly louder than unity (by a bunch) at Q1, moving to Q2 I found that it was also much louder than unity and at Q3 the signal was louder but also distorted.  Q4 is when things got really quiet.  I could hear the distorted/octavey signal but just barely.  

The signal was strong and distorted up to the diode side of R17 but on the junction of R17 and R18 the signal gets somewhat quieter and a little muffled.  Signal is also loud on the Collector side of C10 but I got nothing at the node of C10 and tone pot lug 3.  The level at lug two of the tone pot was quiet and fuzzy.  The level at the collector of Q4 was the same as the output volume at lug two of the volume pot.

I thought that C10 might be bad so I replaced it to no avail.  

Below are the voltages I collected.  Again, using a pre Jan 2012 fabbed board and 2N3904 trannys.

Q1 e=144mv b=.77v c=2.3v

Q2 e=1.7v b=2.3v c=7.22v

Q3 e=195mv b=.82v c=7.2v

Q4 e=6.45v b=7.2v c=6.47v  way too high right?

I'm out of ideas, I can't understand why the voltages on Q4 would be so high.  Below are a couple of pictures in case they help.  I checked the orientation of my electros and they look right.  What am I missing? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

jkokura

First of all - pristine work! I'm impressed with your PCB work. Well done.

Yes, it looks like q4 is the culprite. I don't have the schem handy at the moment, but you should be getting similar readings to q2 and 3 I think. So the emitter needs to be connecting to ground better, and if it isn't that's the place I'd start looking.

Check the parts attached to q4 (looking at the schem) for continuity. The audio probe helped find the problem, your DMM will help solve it.

Also, look for wrong values and bad solder joints around there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

non-reverse

So, stepping away for a while really helped.  Turns out I had the wrong value resistor hanging off one of the legs of Q4. I'd put a 470 ohm resistor where a 470k resistor belonged. Turns out that 3 orders of magnitude makes a big difference. Thanks for the help, This thing is rocking hard.