News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EL DESTRUCTO (Dirty Bird Moosapotamus)

Started by bigrigg, August 25, 2012, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigrigg

EL DESTRUCTO!!
What it is....Dirty Bird with some tiny tweaks / Rattle Crow from Last Gasp.
Why the name?  If you hear it, you will know why.  LOL  Also, it is a nickname for my little daughter, El Destructo.  Somehow she finds her way into my pedals quite often.
It would be unfair to place this great fuzz in the "noise" category.  It's not a noise box.  Yes, it can self oscillate, and make some crazy "chirping" sounds, but really it just has a sh*t ton of fun fuzz sounds.

I wish I could offer a demo, but my DAW etc is all shut down for now.  I will try my best to describe.

You can absolutely get some good med/high gain fuzz tones.  It's not a fuzz face/bender etc but why would it be right?  Definitely musical.  I have 3, 3 way switches and one 2 way switch and 2 knobs that are very interactive beyond the volume.  This leaves you with a ridiculous amount of fuzz and fun sounds.  Many I've never heard from any other pedal before.  One flick of some of the switches and it's instantly a different sound.  The kind of pedal where there are hours of experimenting.  To be fair about 90% of the knob, switch combinations deal out a useable and cool sound.

The Knobbies and switchies explained:

Knobbies
Damage (Sensitivity)  Fallout (Frequency)  Devastate (Volume)

Switchies
Mayhem (Flutter)  Burn (Bright)  Carnage (Q)  Ruin (Chirp)

I added 2 positions for the Ruin.  100 n cap into the volume out / 100 n cap to ground and none.  Really adds some different "bright or burn" characterstics to any and all sounds.
I used different resistor values than the schematic for the "Carnage" placing approx 1.47 m and then combos of parallel resistors off the other 2 switch positions.  End values about 470 k / 1.47 m / 3.47 m. 

I can't recommened this enough if you like "odd" different, whacky experimental fuzz.  Again, not a useless noise box that blirps and chirps and farts by itself.
I will still thank Madbean as I've learned so much from this great site.

Also, my first Vero board.  Pretty cool and a heck of a lot less time involved than doing my etches.
Not the neatest gutshot, but honestly, I just wanted to get it rock'n and have fun.

mgwhit

GrindCustoms

Useable noise? That sounds like melody to my ears! 8)

Congrats for the first vero and i really like the whole theme around the pedal.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

nzCdog

El supremo duderino.  Lovely finishing, the switches and knobbies in particular look uber