News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube question..... (not sure it belongs here)

Started by DutchMF, August 22, 2012, 06:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Maybe there's someone on the forum with a bit of power tube knowledge.... I've been researching tube amps as of lately, maybe with an actual build in the not so near future, and have seen some info on the interweb that KT66's (yes, I want a JTM45) and 6L6's are interchangeable. As 6L6's are way cheaper than KT66's, not considering brand, this might be interesting money-wise. Anyone have any info on the possibilities and tonal differences of this swap? Thanks in advance,

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

angrykoko

I am by no means  a realiable source for this but.. here's what I know.
This site has all I've ever needed for tube data: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

Pin-out wise.. yes they are compatible but there are several 6L6's.
KT66 (paMax = 25)
6L6 (paMax = 19)
6L6GC (paMax = 30)  will require the most from your PT

So, from what I know (which is not much) it comes down to can your amp's Power Transformer handle the biasing the worst case scenario (the 6L6GC in this example) or will you have to run a given tube on the cold side.

Try your question over at ax84.com for a much better answer.

The amp I built has sockets for el84 and octals but, my Power Transformer cant handle fully biasing any octal except a 6V6, when I put a 6L6GC in it.. it's biased very cold and..I didnt like it.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.