News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface Sola Sound Version

Started by ArchDukeOfTops, August 22, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchDukeOfTops

This is my second build, first time building without a kit.  Man what a blast.  For a guy that's not mechanically inclined like me, I'm getting so much out of learning that I can do some electronic stuff.  The first thing I learned was even though I had a PCB, ordering all the parts ect is a lot more challenging then doing a step by step kit.  I learned so much more this way though.

The bad:  This pedal looks like hell.  The inside is a rats nest of wires and transistors and the knobs on the outside bump into each other and are wired backwards.  Despite getting some great help from guys on this forum with wiring up the LED with the positive ground, the light still doesn't come on.  I probably need to do some tightening up on somethings so this won't die on me at an inopportune moment.

The good:  Is sounds great !! (to me anyway).  I've never owned a fuzz, just started wanting one recently and decided to build one.  Oh man, the thickness.  In the demo the tone control is about 85% toward the bass side, and that's really the fuzz tone I've been chasing.  I added more treble and dialed it back a little, hello Led Zepplin I, and dialed back the volume on my guitar (DC Les Paul Jr.) and I got a great 'Money for Nothing" type tone.

Best thing about it is, I build it.  Of course I added extra mojo through my newb soldering.  I'm bit by the bug, I will be building more very soon.

Here's a little demo.  Just the Fuzz straight into my clean channel with some delay in the effects loop.  Don't mind the sloppy playing its only like 40 secs long.

(Thanks for all the help from members in my wiring question thread).

midwayfair

It does sound excellent! Did you pick up the matched transistors from Smallbear?

When you learn more or just get more practice, I'm sure you'll be able to come back to it and fix the LED question in a heartbeat.

ArchDukeOfTops

Yessir, smallbear geraniums.  You should have seen me stressing about the pin out.  One of the things that made the project take longer is the sockets.  I didn't order any at first, and while researching the pin out I realized I could damage the transistors by soldering them to the board.  I played it safe and ordered some sockets and in the end I was glad I did.

I hope I do learn enough to fix it later.  I'm kind of glad I haven't been forced to troubleshoot as of yet though, haha.

bigrigg

Congrats on your build.  Don't worry about the "bad." It's all part of the journey.  As long as you're having fun and making cool sounding pedals it's all good.