Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ideas on new services

Started by madbean, November 03, 2010, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Here are a couple of ideas I'm mulling over:

Skype Conferencing

This would be a set time where I could create an open Skype conference to discuss DIY stuff/madbeanpedals/projects/tech help. So, the idea is I might have a one hour block once a week where anyone could join in and ask questions live. I prefer this to IM because, well, typing blows. Obviously, this would be a free service to everyone.

Enclosure Milling

I'm thinking pretty seriously about investing in a benchtop CNC to do some enclosure drilling and PCB milling. One possible service that could come out of this is engraving enclosures (or faceplates). So, say you had a graphic design for your box: you submit that to me in vector format and I plug it into the CNC and engrave your enclosure for a set fee (cost of engraving plus enclosure).

Any thoughts? Sound cool? Or, terrible?? :)

jkokura

I love the first idea. I wonder how it would go though. Perhaps having an agenda, or a way to vote on the subject of discussion... Too many people logged in would perhaps be chaos as well - we can't all talk at once on the interweb!

Idea two is wonderful, but I wonder about the cost. Would this be for non painted enclosures or for painted ones? I get powdercoated boxes now and then drill them, and while it takes me time, I'm really satisfied with my results. If I get pre drilled boxes from you, I know I'll not do a good job on the painting... But I imagine for milling boards you'd save a lot of time and energy (and perhaps supplies, I don't know what a desktop CNC machine requires financially...)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Something like a webinar with a certain topic would be cool.  These can be archived then for others who could not "attend".  My profession has them quite a bit, but I don't know what is needed in terms of software.  I'm not familiar with skype though and it's features.

As for the milling/engraving, I probably would only use a service like enclosure engraving maybe once a year.  (maybe more depending on cost)  Same with drilling, I'm sure the accuracy of the drilling would be incredible but I usually kinda plan and drill as I go.  I also buy the powder coated enclosures It would be a pain for me to transfer measurements to any kind of standardized form for a CNC.  If I was doing a lot of the same kind of pedal though I certainly would use the service as it would save a lot of time.  But I really just like building pedals for fun and it actually burns off some work stress.  The service would help the small boutiquer.

Even if none of these pan out for you I'm extremely happy with the pcbs, BOM's, forum, etc...  But I'm sure your looking to expand which is cool.

Just my humble 2 cents...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Thanks for the feedback guys. I imagined the enclosure engraving thing as a pretty specialized service. I certainly cannot afford to get the kind of machine that could do production level milling, but as a one off it could be something unique that no one else offers.

For the webinar, I imagined it more as a cattle call (or, 'office hours' for lack of a better term). But, it might be good to have it directed towards specific topics, too. I'll think up on that.

Thanks again for the posts.

CRBMoA

MB,

I would have to agree with the herd. A webinar or some other cyber meeting would be a great experiment, and it may have legs, but it depends on timing and participation. But I think it would be great to be able to provide support and exchange ideas in real time, without typing.

I actually repaired a BEAUTIFULLY engraved pedal last week. You can see an example of it HERE. It would be a fantastic service to offer, but I never see myself using it.

cb

eniacmike

the webinar sounds cool especially if you can archive them because I can imagine it would be hard to agree on a good time, I know I am really busy so it would be hard to tune in every week. maybe a podcast would be cool too? I love podcasts and I listen to them all the time when I am building.

I probably wouldn't need the services of the engraving, although if it can drill pcbs out that sounds fantastic. I know personally it's my least favorite part of making pcbs. Even if you had to raise My pedal layouts are almost never the same and sometimes I change parts and placement of items. alot of times I will be out of a 16mm pot but I might have a 24mm and they have different drill sizes.