News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stone Blender - Madbean Pastyface Soul Bender (sound demo / Build report)

Started by chromesphere, August 13, 2012, 08:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Greetings!
As part of my current adventure into the world of Ge transistors, i built 2 Pastyfaces (soul bender).  I'm quite surprised how much gain this things got.  I had a few 'issues' with this build, mainly due to external forces (busted test box for instance).  I ended up leaving the 47k off the output as i found it brightened the tone up a bit.  I ended up going with 50hfe in Q1 & Q2 and a 120hfe Q3 (leaky), sounded the best to my ears. Anyway, details of the build and sound report below, thanks for reading!
Paul

Sound Demo:

Build Report:

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

raulduke

bigrigg

Great job with the demo.  Especially showing what the boost could do to the sound.  So many combos of pedals produce completely different tones etc vs stand alone.  thanks

chromesphere

Cheers guys!  

With the little one around, i dont get as much time these days, i hope my demo did it justice.  I may have been a bit heavy with the treble in some parts.  Well worth building if you in the market for DIY tone bender variant.  I think im going to have to build a tone bender now :)

Paul

midwayfair

The low gain sound in the first Stonebender demo is pretty righteous. Punchy without gating or feeling starved or losing body (like a fuzz face). How's the overall volume output?

chromesphere

Its got a decent about of volume.  I had a problem with my test box, the 3pdt might be gone, but for some reason im getting 1/4 the output i should be.  Unity is at about 10:00, so theres plenty of boost.  Removing that 47k probably helped a bit as well. 
Paul

madbean

The videos are great and the build report is outstanding! Thank you for taking the time to do that and post it here. I'm very pleased to see so much effort put into your project :)