News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

egodriver vs. serendpity?

Started by eniacmike, November 01, 2010, 11:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

I know these are two different kind of circuits the ego/ocd being more of a distortion and the serendipity/zendrive being a tubescreamer based circuit but I keep going back and forth comparing them.

The main issue for me is I love the zendrive and it sounds really great especially on longer chords and drawn out leads because the sustain is really good. but when I ab it with the ocd the ocd clearly has more bass. actually the ocd has more bass content than my bypass signal. and so when I go back and forth the ocd ends up sounding like the better pedal because it has a fuller tone.

I understood that the input cap has alot to do with bass to a circuit but the zen drive has the bigger cap. 470nf vs. 22nf I am guessing that maybe the output cap on the ocd being 10uF helps it's bass response vs. 470nF on the zendrive, but I also remember reading that the tubescreamer based circuits all have a problem with bass in general.

I also like the higher gain of the zendrive with the voice cranked but it gets really thin.

madbean

Personally, I prefer the OCD, but with the gain less than half. This is where it really shines. Eliminating bass from the circuit is as simple as reducing the 68n off the opamp to a lower value. You could reduce the 10uF to 1uF, or even 100n. But, the fullness that you like will be reduced too.

mjcyates

I agree that the OCD sounds much better with gain around 11:00. Anything above noon and it starts getting kind of woolly.

eniacmike

I was more asking how to get more bass out of the zendrive..

I think I do like the zendrive in all playing situations it's just when I do a side by side of the ocd and the zendrive it sounds fuller with more bass content.

madbean

Gotcha. There are two mods you can try. Following the schematic on the Serendipity, increase C3 to 220n. Another alternative is to set it up more like the bass control on the Timmy. This requires some modification, but here's a snippet of how it works:

[attachment deleted by admin]

eniacmike

Quote from: madbean on November 02, 2010, 09:44:47 AM
Gotcha. There are two mods you can try. Following the schematic on the Serendipity, increase C3 to 220n. Another alternative is to set it up more like the bass control on the Timmy. This requires some modification, but here's a snippet of how it works:

I noticed the neutrino (eternity) has 220nF has anybody tried that pedal? any comments on the bass content? 47nF input cap, 10uF output cap.