News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Puzzle Box (New Test Fixture Day)

Started by pickdropper, September 01, 2012, 02:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This really isn't a completed build, but it was a project of sorts, so I am going to post it anyway.  :-)

I've had a crude Beavis style breakout box for a while, but I wanted something a bit more refined.  The main goal was something self-contained that I could take with me and test on various rigs, and even throw on a pedalboard if necessary.  I also wanted it to be somewhat modular and flexible. 

This is nowhere near a completed project.  I already have the refinements planned for the next version, but this is good enough to start.

The box is an interlocking series of pieces (thus, the puzzle box name).  There are basically four main components:

1.) The box - bottom and sides, all glued together.  All hardware mounted here is hardwired (input/output/power)

2.) The cross-brace - not absolutely necessary as the top doesn't flex much when stepped on, but it is insurance.  This part is removable - just slide it in and out.

3.) The switch plate - this holds the stomp switch and the LED.  It connects to a pin header via screw-down terminals which snap into a receptacle in the box.  I can make extra switch plates to accommodate different configurations.  The horizontal switch plate can accommodate 2 switches/LEDs, but the one in the picture needs to be recut as the one on the left interferes with the input jack.  For reasonably small circuits, I should be able to test two circuits in this box with the horizontal layout.

4.) The test plate - this is where the pots/switches mount for the DUT (device under test).  The four wires from the PCB (in/out/pwr/gnd) are screwed into 2 pin headers, which then snap onto the switch plate.  I made a couple different vertical test plates and one horizontal test plate.  For board mounted pots, I know that there is going to be an issue with pot spacing, so I am planning on adding plates as necessary until I have a collection that accommodates most options.

Ok, enough description, here are some pictures:

This is what it looks like in vertical layout with a circuit installed (obviously knobs can be added if that is useful).

Here, I've opened the box, but left all connections in place.  Obviously, this doesn't lend itself to short, clean wires, but that isn't the point of this:

Here I've detached the connections.  The quick disconnect makes changing plates easy.

Here is the box with the horizontal plates.  Obviously, there is nothing attached at this point.  I also didn't put the cross brace in as I need to make a cutout for the wires going to the input jack.

Here are all the bits that I've made so far.  Not a great photo, but you can see what is there.

The inside dimensions of this box are basically a 1590BB.  In the future, I am going to do a smaller, 125B version and probably a larger version as well.  Anything going forward will also likely be taller, so I have a bit more room to work.  Adding the connections really took up quite a bit of real estate.

I am going to add a few switch plates with useful features, mainly I am going to add one with a voltage convertor for testing pedals at 15V or 18V and possibly add one for testing PNP fuzz pedals (if I start building more of those).  I will also probably add a sag option as well.  Tons of possibilities.

I basically posted this verbatim over at BYOC as well.  I usually try to write individual posts, but this was a long write-up so I got lazy.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

night-B

icecycle66

Wow, that is really cool.

I can see great things for you coming from a series of these boxes.

pickdropper

Quote from: icecycle66 on September 01, 2012, 03:58:20 PM
Wow, that is really cool.

I can see great things for you coming from a series of these boxes.

Thanks.  I believe this will be an invaluable tool for testing populated boards.  I am not actually planning on making any final builds with these boxes.
Function f(x)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jubal81

Fantastic idea, not to mention it looks really polished. Is that laser-cut acrylic?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on September 02, 2012, 01:11:16 AM
Fantastic idea, not to mention it looks really polished. Is that laser-cut acrylic?

Thanks, it took me a bit to dial it in.  Yes, it is laser cut acrylic.  It's proven to be very useful.  I like being to test circuits in a pseudo-boxed setup.
Function f(x)

raulduke

Brilliant work dude!

It looks super cool for a test rig too (not plain fugly like my rigs  :D)

I love seeing peoples jigs that they have made for themselves.

sgmezei

MattOcaster

This will give pedal people everywhere a SHO!
Usually to test a circuit it's on breadboard, but this is next level stuff!
;D
Definitely solves the problem of not having to commit to an enclosure.
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com