News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gargletron TL062?

Started by bigrigg, June 19, 2012, 12:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigrigg

Hey there,
wanting to build the Gargletron.  Firstly, anyone know of a pcb layout for etching anywhere?

http://folkurban.com/Site/Gargletron-685.html

Secondly, how do you wire the TL062?  The schematic shown isn't clear to me at folkurban.  Is it 1 In - / 1 In + and 1 out.   Then 2 In - / 2 out + and 2 out only?  Do the VCC- or VCC + pins wire up to anything?

Also, would you say the Dipthonizer by Madbean is far superior?
Thanks very much for any advice.

stecykmi

This circuit is very simple, you could very easily make it on perfboard. put the opamp down first and build around it, that's my general strategy.

wire it up as shown, but you need to ground the Vcc- and give +9v to Vcc+. A bias voltage (Vr) is generated and you need to hook that up to the non-inverting inputs.

the dipthonizer is slightly different because it uses an envelope generator to change the cut-off frequency of the filter. this is "just" a filter, so it depends on what you want. this thing probably sounds pretty cool with a fuzz or distortion before it, you'll probably get a nasal-type sound.

bigrigg

Quote from: stecykmi on June 19, 2012, 12:57:07 AM
This circuit is very simple, you could very easily make it on perfboard. put the opamp down first and build around it, that's my general strategy.

wire it up as shown, but you need to ground the Vcc- and give +9v to Vcc+. A bias voltage (Vr) is generated and you need to hook that up to the non-inverting inputs.

the dipthonizer is slightly different because it uses an envelope generator to change the cut-off frequency of the filter. this is "just" a filter, so it depends on what you want. this thing probably sounds pretty cool with a fuzz or distortion before it, you'll probably get a nasal-type sound.
Thank you kind sir.

bigrigg

Breadboarded this thing tonight.  First time I've ever done any breadboard in my life.  Fired right up!  Very cool feeling.  I'm sure this is like putting on a band aid compared to brain surgery in the world of pedal building, but still pretty cool and satisfying for me.
Next, I will try and change a few of the cap values to see what sounds I can get and also put a fuzz pedal in the chain.  So far it gives an adjustable cocked wah sound with a bit of distortion.
Thanks again.

stecykmi

you can play with the input cap to control the overall bass. something like 0.1uF would probably be all pass (enough for bass or synth).

the two pairs of feedback caps (the 0.005uF/0.005uF pair and the 680pF/0.001uF pair) will obviously have a big effect on the sound. i'm not familiar with the topology, BUT probably, if you increase the caps, the higher the cut-off frequency.

you can probably clean up the pedal by removing the clipping diodes, or be doubling them up if you still want some grit. you could also probably dirty it up a little more by using germanium diodes like the 1n34.

you can also increase the gain of the input, i believe, by adjusting the 2.2k resistor. where higher decreases the gain. experiment but as a suggestion, use a 500 ohm resistor with a 2k C-type pot (or a reversed A-type pot).

a "deluxe" version of this pedal might include output buffer, a simple bjt emitter follower between the output cap and the volume pot.

you could also try using a +12 or more voltage supply to increase the headroom.

bigrigg

awesome suggestions.  thanks very much