News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Winter's bag o' blues - Dirtbag

Started by TNblueshawk, June 30, 2012, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

What else can you say about a duplicate of the best delay ever  ;D...IMHO of course

John

nzCdog

Unashamedly huge enclosure!? Check
MN3005? Check
Superb graphics, finished with envirotec?  Check
Bonus question: Chicken head knobs?  Check

I think we have a winner!!! ;)

Very nice build TN...  Who's the guitarist?  (Maybe Jonny Winter?)

k.rock!

Awesome build man! Love the envirotec finish!

It's Johnny Winter. Funny thing, his lead guitarist Floyd Radford dropped out of the band to become an electrical engineer. He works with me at Lockheed Martin in Orlando, FL. Kinda random right? haha

Here's a video of them playing Jumping Jack Flash back in the day (Floyd is the first guy in the video):

-K

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

TNblueshawk

Thanks Nz  :)

Good night Krock. Tell old Floyd to pick that damn guitar up again, I don't care how good of an EE he is  :o

Great clip too. Johnny's had some great ones blow through not to mention him being in Muddy's band for years. I think Winter's first blues band had Tommy Shannon as his bassist (SRV's of course) and then Rick Deringer of course for some years. His slide work is some the nastiest blues slide you'll ever hear.

What a small world huh. You ever get any cool stories out of Floyd about Johnny...or anything really?

John

k.rock!

He's a really nice guy. I have spoken with him only a couple times, most of the times I just see him while we walk down hallways and just great each other.

Last Christmas he brought an amp and a guitar and played some Christmas jazz/blues songs with a fellow employee on keys at our Christmas lunch in the cafeteria. Very cool stuff! I spoke with him briefly afterwards, mainly to give him one of those "great job dude! you played awesome!" type things and mentioned that I played too and liked to build pedals haha (shameless plug, I know) But I thought, how cool would it be if I can build Floyd a nice pedal... 8) He wanted to check them out but we haven't really spoken since.

Anyways, really cool guy. If I have a chance to sit with him and talk about music I'll ask about some stories about Johnny and tell you guys all about it haha :P

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

shawnee

Cool! My Dad has played at local nursing homes at least once a week for many years. They play for free and he loves seeing them smile every time they show up. He was talking with everyone when they got done playing one day and a gentleman who lived there said "I've got a couple of boys who play music too". My Dad said "oh really, what are their names?" as to which he replied "Johnny and Edgar".  My Dad was tickled to say the least. They had both moved away before I ever starting playing but they grew up in my home town.  

TNblueshawk

John

shawnee

Thanks John.  Lots of great musicians from this little Texas town. My mother-n-law graduated from highschool with Janis Joplin (and football coach Jimmy Johnson). Jerry Lacroix (singer for blood sweat and tears and edgar winter) is local. His brother Julian used to run sound for a band I was in years ago.  Back in the early 70's, ZZ Top was playing high school proms. Billy Gibbons names another local player (Terry Simpson) as one of his main influences. Even though they really hadn't met, he calls Terry on the phone every once in a while and Terry is so humble that he just kinda plays it off and says he doesn't know why Billy calls him. My Dad actually plays with Terry now. This was all before my time though.

At 19 years old one of my buddies drove up and won the "best guitarist in Houston" contest in the late 80's. Not bad for a city with several million people in it. He ended up playing in a band that did several weeks on "Star Search" in the early 90's. We also had another guitar player win a nation contest for a scholarship to GIT and a drummer win a national contest put on by Tico Torres (an later ended up being the lead singer for the Michael Shenker Group). One of my all time favorite blues player ever is a local guy named Scott McGill. One of my biggest influences for sure. I'm not a country fan but Mark Chestnut, Clay Walker, and Tracey Bird are all from here as well. They all had local guys in their bands playing around the world. My boss is a great country player and has played in several countries as well. Some other buddies of mine are in a band called Podunk. They are really great (you can pull them up on Amazon.com) and they used to tour with Kings-X.  One of the original members is Kelly Clarkson's guitar tech now. The list goes on and on.  We also have a master luthier in town (john jagneaux custom guitars) that can build anything you can image in his garage! I guess there's just nothing else to do here! ;D

TNblueshawk

The stories just get better. No doubt Texas in general has produced some top notch players let alone "regular" dudes who can kill it.

What little Texas town are you talking about? I know Billy G and SRV ran over the same path now and again in the day.
John

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome build! Of course those graphics rule!
That is video is a prime example of why I love the 70's groove. They ripped so hard.
My stepfather grew up in Austin in the mid-late 60's and said he lived down the hall from johnny. Crazy small world. He more recently told me he went to high school with Roky Erickson..one of my biggest idols.
Another great Austin band is Bubble Puppy..much overlooked but they had some really classic songs.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TNblueshawk

John

shawnee

Sorry John. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread!
It's an area called "The Golden Triangle" which is comprised of Beaumont and several smaller cities like Nederland, Pt. Neches, Groves, and Pt. Arthur. Pretty lame area honestly. We have lots of oil refineries, polution, giant mosquitoes, 100% humidity year around, super hot weather, and hurricanes. There is a lot of great players here though.  Oh, and Stevie Ray was from Austin and Billy Gibbons was near Houston.

Quote from: TNblueshawk on July 02, 2012, 12:09:35 PM
The stories just get better. No doubt Texas in general has produced some top notch players let alone "regular" dudes who can kill it.

What little Texas town are you talking about? I know Billy G and SRV ran over the same path now and again in the day.