News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Farty Disolve on Sustained Note

Started by tenwatt, June 16, 2012, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

This is the second time I've had this problem but first time I've addressed it.  Once it was happening on the LED clipping side of a Egodriver and now it's happening with a Hot Cake clone.

Everything sounds PERFECT but if I let a note resound, right at the very end of the sustain it seems to quickly fizzle out with a crackle that's not very musical.  Everything else sounds PERFECT.  No scratchiness, no crackling, everything sounds good but the final half second of a sustained note.  Any ideas?
Not too bright....

mgwhit

I've gotten a similar effect when I've accidentally hit the voltage sag knob on my test rig while running opamp-based circuits.  How sure are you about your input voltages?

tenwatt

Quote from: mgwhit on June 16, 2012, 12:14:28 PM
I've gotten a similar effect when I've accidentally hit the voltage sag knob on my test rig while running opamp-based circuits.  How sure are you about your input voltages?
I'm using a wall wart so it should be fine.  I'll test it.
Not too bright....

timbo_93631

That is part of the Hotcake design AFAIK.  The "bluesberry" mod is supposed to be an attempt at making it less noticable.  I think it is also wht the Hotcake is viewed as more of a power chord pedal, not a soloing pedal, and also why in an interview Crowther says it works best with an AC30.  http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/Paul_Crowther_interview.html
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

tenwatt

Could it be the IC?  What other IC's could I try in place of the LM741CM?  It seems to abrupt to just be how it should sound.
Not too bright....

whitebread47

Honestly, I've owned a couple of Crowther Hotcakes and they do have a fairly quick, fizzy decay by nature.  I've never enjoyed them for much lead playing on their own, but the quick decay can compliment rhythm playing sometimes I found.  I built one of the Flapjack boards recently and it does it too, but is a tad quicker to die out than the Crowther IIRC.  As far as other IC's go, I tried a TL071 out in mine.  I don't remember how it effected the decay, but it had a lot less gain on tap than the LM741 does, not bad if you only use slightly driven settings anyways.

I play through an AC15, so it is generally suited for my rig.  People aren't kidding when they say Hotcakes sound best through a Vox.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

tenwatt

Does anyone have a link to the bluesberry mod?
Not too bright....

timbo_93631

About halfway through my thread here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4565.0
With pics of how I implemented it two different ways.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups