News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard Squeal/Ring

Started by murdog47, June 19, 2012, 04:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdog47

So I had attempted all of the mods to get rid of this brutally ear piercing squeal/ring out of my Boneyard and nothing seems to work.  I have found that if I put my Thunderpuss in front of the Boneyard, the squeal immediately goes away when I engage the Thunderpuss. As soon as I stomp the Thunderpuss back off the squeal returns. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and is there a way to play through the Boneyard independently without having another pedal turned on in front of it?

midwayfair

Quote from: murdog47 on June 19, 2012, 04:44:49 AMis there a way to play through the Boneyard independently without having another pedal turned on in front of it?

One way would be to make a tiny buffer on Vero and wire it up to the Boneyard between the switch and the board in. Sounds like it wants a low input impedance, though I must admit that I've never heard of that being a source of line noise. Or maybe it's a power supply issue. Are they on the same power supply? Is the Boneyard on the same power supply as a digital pedal?

pryde

Maybe some more info would help and a good gut shot. Exactly what mods were performed?

mgwhit

I just finished one of these yesterday with the half-gain mod (R5=100R, C5=1uF) and it does not squeal, ring or whine at all.  FWIW, I did use the input pull-down resistor and the output low-pass filter.  I have only used it Guitar > Boneyard > Amp so far.  I'll put it in a longer chain of pedals later today and see if I can get it to freak out.  (I realize that's kinda the opposite of what you're experiencing, but I'd like to see if changing input and output impedance can make mine freak out.)

I breadboarded it with the stock gain R/C values and it didn't squeal either, but I understand that the more spread-out layout might affect things.

JakeFuzz

Sounds like you could be picking up some of the high frequency switching of the charge pump in the signal path. I would try routing all cables away from the switching capacitors and maybe use the really small braided coax that SB sells on the input lines.

EDIT: NVM Just saw that you tried shielded cable. When I run with a few pedals and a pedal that uses a charge pump in a chain I always get a little squeal especially from high gain effects.