News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sea urchin help

Started by junkemail86, June 07, 2012, 01:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Sorry for the annoying question, but I'm going nuts here.
I built a Sea Urchin and it was working perfectly, then I boxed it and now I get a completely clean signal with no delay when the effect is switched on.  My multimeter is crapping out on me, but it seems to show that the pot connections are still intact.  I'm also getting 9V at the +9v.  Any ideas of what could be wrong?  I'm a bit more confused knowing that the circuit just worked and there is intact signal.  Thanks!

gtr2

It's most likely the 'ol pt2399 lockup trick.

Unfortunately some batches of the pt2399's are more prone to it than others.  The oscillator locks up if you power the pedal up when the time pot is at pretty much the shortest delay setting.  I've had some pt2399's that do it with this circuit, some that don't ever do it. 

R18 is 2k7.  If you have a batch that lockup (it more or less destroy's the pt2399 by the way) adjust this value to around 4k7 to 5k.  You won't notice much of a difference in a slapback delay and your chip won't lock up.  Well...the next one you put in anyways as the chip is toast  :o   Unless you really quickly power off the pedal when it does it, you've destroyed the chip.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

junkemail86

Thanks for the response!
I had seen some posts about the chip locking up, but I didn't know that it meant sound would go through without repeats.