News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

my Egodriver is VERY loud!

Started by Sigesmundninja, July 05, 2011, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

I just finished building a Egodriver, no subs, followed the documentation. I'm very happy with the sound of this pedal but I think the output is way to high. If I set my amp up for a clean tone and moderate "apartment-volume" and then stomp my pedal it blows the roof of the building. If the gain-knob is set anywhere above 9 a' clock I can't back of the volume enough.

If i turn the amp way down and crank the gain on the pedal it sounds like heaven!  ;D

Is this normal for this project?
Anybody else had this issue and what did you do to fix it?

/Markus

madbean

Try a 100kA for the volume pot. That will fix the high output.

Sigesmundninja

That did it, thank you very much for that quick response!
Now I only need to stuff it in a enclosure.

rikpt

I'm sorry to dig up such an old post, but here's my doubt: how does changing a 500K pot to 100K change the output volume?

Wasn't it supposed to be the same and only change output impedance?

I've had this doubt for some time now, could you please help?

PS: I know it works, cause I built it with this mod, just don't get why :D

madbean

The larger value pot means the resistance to ground increases as the pot is turned towards max. The larger resistance means more of the signal passes to the output rather than being shunted to ground.

rikpt

So does this work for any pedal? I was under the impression that you could not increase a pedal volume by changing only the volume output pot (in those cases where the output volume is set by a simple pot).

I read around some tutorials about pots, on guitars, amplifiers, etc... and they all stated that a pot at the end of the circuit is only a voltage divider and should therefore have no effect if it was 1K or 1M.

However, what you say makes sense... the bigger the ressistance to ground, the higher the voltage at output port.

DutchMF

Hey rikpt, thanx for bringing this up! This might fix the volume issues I have with my Snarkdoodle. Great sounding pedal, but way to loud to mix with the rest of my setup. I think I received some pots today that I could try (5kA, original is 10kA). This might work the other way around as well..... Again acquired a bit of knowledge!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rikpt