News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smallbear resistors for Mangler

Started by murdog47, May 17, 2012, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdog47

So I ordered a matched set of transistors from Smallbear for the Mangler and the resistors included were labeled as follows:

R3 - 30K
R4 - 10k
R5 - 680R
R6 - 91K

I'm not sure how these relate to the Mangler resistors? I would assume that R3 - 30K is the Mangler's R2 as the values are so close and the R6 - 91K would be the Mangler's R1 but again I'm assuming this. I sent an email to Smallbear and was told that their resistors numbers were based off of the schematic.  Anyone able to enlighten me?

midwayfair

See the ones in the Bearface marked "per device"?

Match those up with the mangler schematic, the values are very close. ;)

mgwhit

Regardless of what they said via email, I don't think the resistor #'s they gave you necessarily correspond to the BearFace circuit.  I think they're for a traditional Fuzz Face (a la the Mangler).  I think it should be like so:

SmallBear = Mangler
---------------------
R3 (30K) = R2 (33K)
R4 (10k) = R3 (220R) + Bias (0-20K)
R5 - (680R) = R4 (470R)
R6 - (91K) = R1 (100K)

If you want to just use the SmallBear R4 (10K) for your R3, you should skip/jumper the bias pot, but given Germanium's finicky nature I'd use the MadBean value there and bias.

Edit:  It just looks like they have their R4 and R5 turned around between what they gave you and what's on their Bear Face schematic.  I can't imagine they'd want you to use the values they gave you for those two.  Since those values so obviously appear to be swapped, you could always ask them to clarify.

murdog47