News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Conditioned, filtered, isolated... power supply opinons anyone?

Started by claytushaywood, May 13, 2012, 08:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I'm finally looking to upgrade to one of those nice power supply boxes... like the voodoo labs and am looking for some opinions.

I know the dunlop brick (and gator 8) are not individually isolated.  But they are conditioned right?  So this does make them more than a 1spot right?

I really like the fact that those (dunlop brick and gator) have so many outlets!  and 3 individual 18v outlets!  and I dont have a line 6 pedal that the voodoo labs would be good for (do those outlets on the voodoo 2 work for eventide pedals as well?) I also dont like that the voodoo requires you to use up 2 of your outlets to make an 18v.  I realize that I could just put charge pumps to get 18v, but then I'd also have to change some of these boxes from 1590b to 125b. 

Can you plug in positive ground effects to the voodoo labs?  That would be nice.
I also like the voltage sag thing... but thats such an easy mod to do with just a pot.  Would the actual voltage sag work better- I do like that sound with a good number of fuzz pedals.
I do like a big pedal board- and will probably get a pedal train 3 or pro to accomodate my habit!  I would like to stay a little smaller and keep my enclosures small.  So should I just plan on getting 2 voodoo labs or can I just rock the inexpensive non isolated ones but conditioned ones?  Is the isolation worth it?  I know power conditioning can help a good deal with noise in some locations

and first and foremost I guess... is there a good DIY solution?  I've seen some, but it appears they are just conditioned 9v supplies that use a daisy chain (which I'd much rather have some organization with individual plugs and stay away from the rat's nest of daisy chains and jumper cables)

Well I guess I just need some opinions- I know its been overdiscussed, but seeming that we are all building some of the same circuits and I trust the opinions on this forum so much, thought I'd ask you guys!

Thanks!

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

stecykmi

I have both a voodoo labs pedal power and a 1-spot (several of them actually). I think it really depends on your setup and how picky you are about noise.

voodoo labs are very nice if you have a proper pedal board since they're larger and have longer setup time. they can also be used with positive ground effects, just make sure the wiring is correct. it's a great power supply, although it's somewhat large, heavy and expensive.

but 1spots are really quick and easy which is great if you just want a couple pedals for a jam. if you're only running 1-3 pedals, noise most likely won't be an issue with most pedals.

if ever i need one in the future, i'd likely design my own, similar to the one Corey did in the linked build report. Weber sells a 12VAC transformer with something like 8 secondary taps which is perfect for a power supply.