News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Squeeze my green bean

Started by r4ndy, May 07, 2012, 12:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4ndy

Well it took me longer than I will admit, ok maybe I will admit it. I probably spent close to 30 hours on this pedal, but it was worth it. A good couple hours were spent scrounging for parts even though I thought I had everything I had to pilfer a BYOC orange kit I had to get the last few items. I was trying to get the wiring to look really neat because I am giving this as a gift. While the wiring pales compared to some of you gents, this is a huge step forward from my usual rat's nests. The pedal is a cupcake going into a green bean and is going to a friend to use with an old vibrochamp. The swirl paint job was done by my wife.

Thanks to everyone who answered questions for me and for the couple folks who sold cupcake boards to me. I am planning to build two more of these - one for another friend and one for me.

The pedal sounds close to my TS9 in one of the two clipping modes, in the other it is much quieter and fuzzy, so I think I need to try some different diodes. I have 914's in the asymetrical spots and 1n270's in the symetrical. Any suggestions?

mgwhit

Nice job!

I'm guessing that the low/fuzzy setting is the 1n270's and the similar-to-TS9 setting is the asymmetrical 1n914's.  I'd fill all the slots with 1914s, decide whether I prefer symmetrical or asymmetrical 1n914s, keep the one I like and then play around with the other setting.  Have fun!

mjcyates

I personally prefer symmetrical 1n914's/1n4148's.

r4ndy

Thanks - I put 1n914's the symmetrical spots and 1n914 + 1n914 & 1n4148 in the asymmetrical side. Sounds good, but I think all 1n914's in the asymmetrical sounded best for a bluesy. I included baggies with a bunch of diodes to the person I built this for, he can continue to tweak it. I am building two more identical ones - one more gift and then one for me. Hoping by the time I get to mine I can figure out how to dress so many wire in a  much cleaner fashion. Making 3 of the same pedal should help me wrap my head around the layout planning process a little better as I can now see some of my errors in planning.

TNblueshawk

Hole shiznits I love that swirl. Tell Ms Andy awesome job!

I just give up on my wiring when I'm doing a 2 in 1. It lowers my stress level if I just don't worry about it.

And no, I'm not going to squeeze your bean  :P
John