News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller & Orange Squeezer problem

Started by G.G., May 07, 2012, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi Folks,

I just finished building up my Cave Dweller over the weekend and was messing with it a little today over my headphone amp.  It seemed to be working fine and sounding good, until I plugged in my Orange Squeezer clone (GGG version) that I've been using. There seems to be a noisy power problem when I use them together. I have all my effects daisy-chained with a 1spot power supply, which admittedly doesn't have the greatest filtering. With the OS on and the CD off I'm getting kind of a strange high frequency noise that oscillates in pitch randomly, and also a really heavy gating compression effect on louder notes. When I turn on the CD the noise goes away, or I can't hear it, but they don't sound too good together.  I put the CD 2nd in line after the compressor and that's where the noise is greatest, but it is also present if I switch the effect order. I haven't tried plugging them in to my amp and a different outlet yet, maybe that will change things.  Anyway, just wondered if anyone had experienced this issue yet.

thanks!
Gray

midwayfair

Quote from: G.G. on May 07, 2012, 07:24:30 PM
Hi Folks,

I just finished building up my Cave Dweller over the weekend and was messing with it a little today over my headphone amp.  It seemed to be working fine and sounding good, until I plugged in my Orange Squeezer clone (GGG version) that I've been using. There seems to be a noisy power problem when I use them together. I have all my effects daisy-chained with a 1spot power supply, which admittedly doesn't have the greatest filtering. With the OS on and the CD off I'm getting kind of a strange high frequency noise that oscillates in pitch randomly, and also a really heavy gating compression effect on louder notes. When I turn on the CD the noise goes away, or I can't hear it, but they don't sound too good together.  I put the CD 2nd in line after the compressor and that's where the noise is greatest, but it is also present if I switch the effect order. I haven't tried plugging them in to my amp and a different outlet yet, maybe that will change things.  Anyway, just wondered if anyone had experienced this issue yet.

thanks!
Gray

Hrm, weird. I use an OS all the time and I didn't notice anything when I tested the cave dweller.

madbean

That is strange. Trying a different outlet is a good idea. Maybe an alternate set of cables? Or, larger PS filtering caps on both effects.

G.G.

I'm hoping it's just some random electrical weirdness or maybe the particular jack I happened to be using today. There's some other electronics on the same line here at work so maybe it's that.  I'm going to try it at home with my amp, that's really where it matters anyway.

G.G.

Well, works fine at home. Must have been a bad outlet or something, but alls well that ends well.  :)

madbean

I've had that happen with an amp before. Some electrical plugs are just dirty.