News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller! 1st Baby Build

Started by pryde, May 01, 2012, 01:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Here is my first baby, the Cave dweller. Wow this was a good challenge being my first 1590a box. I used enclosed switchcraft jacks and socketed the PT2399 chip and had absolutely 0 room left. I had to sand/grind a bit on the plastic jacks to get everything to squeeze in.

This delay is very flexible because of the dwell feature. I had it repeating FOREVER playing fresh notes on top of the cavernous wall of sound, very cool.

The top of the enclosure is almond with raw aluminum everywhere else. I am going to keep this theme with my next babies, smoothie and hipster fuzz.

Of course, Captain Caveman is most appropriate here  ;D

I

slimtriggers

Ha!  That's a great graphic!  Nice work 8)

gtr2

Cool.  Good job.

I opted not to socket the pt2399 on mine because of clearance.  Props on the socketing!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mgwhit

Love it.  Great build and great graphics!  How is the clearance with those Switchcraft jacks?

midwayfair

I love that graphic. :)

If anyone's interested in a couple hacks to get some more clearance, the plastic enclosed Neutrik jacks can be ... "edited" with clippers. I've been cutting mine so that the bracing on the top is gone, and I tested them for strength and there doesn't seem to be any bending.

The other hack is to do inline open jacks. It can be done, but I would definitely recommend only doing it with a drill press with a laser site unless you're really good. This thread has a couple examples:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2126.0

pryde

Like I said there was absolutely NO room with socketing the chip and using the enclosed switchcraft jacks.

I had to file a bit of the holes to "drop" the jacks down further into the enclosure. Then, I took the jacks to the bench grinder and shaved off some plastic from the surface to get even more clearance. It had no effect on the integrity of the jack and it gave me another 1-2mm of space otherwise it was a no-go.

I dont think I would go through the trouble again. It might be easier to use the low profile jacks bean recommends in the baby-build doc.

mgwhit

Thanks!  Just ordered some low-profiles.