News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Testing Rig Question

Started by pryde, April 26, 2012, 11:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

I built and have used jkorura's testing rig for quite some time and even used it to de-bug a couple builds :)

the issue i am having is when testing a circuit board (unboxed) there is so much rf coming through it is hard to hear the tones of the circuit. I can hear it enough to know it is working but it is burried under a.m. radio noise? Now when I box up the given circuit it is quiet with no rf interference.

Is this common with testing rigs in general?
Is it just because of the alligator clips on the in/out, 9v/ground wires when using the rig?
Is there anything I can do?

I have some completed boards that I want to play around with on the test rig but cant stand the damn country radio station coming through my amp.

Thanks in advance!

jkokura

Yes it's common, but I don't experience it as badly as you do.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mgwhit

I get some pretty bad buzz from the lights in my basement when I'm prototyping or testing, but I usually don't hear it once I start playing.

I've always wanted to build another prototype rig with a breadboard and all of the connectors mounted internally (kinda like the Z Vex Inventobox, but actually useful).  That way you could build it, rock it, even take it to rehearsal or a gig.  Wouldn't be great for debugging boards, but if you're audio probing you don't really need to worry about interference.

I suppose you could even drill 1-4 holes in another aluminum enclosure, put your board in that (placed on a pad to prevent shorting) and feed the wires through the holes.  Your input wire will still be exposed, but I'd be shocked if it didn't help.  Your case sounds pretty extreme, so it might be worth trying.  Heck, you could even use the enclosure you're going to eventually install the board in anyway.  Oh, and you'd also have to connect a ground wire to that extra enclosure.  Good luck!

gtr2

I only really have a problem with higher gain stuff...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Thanks for some suggestions. I have a quad set of radio towers close to my house so I suppose they are the culprit.

It doesn't matter what circuit, they all get bad rf on the test rig.

Even after boxing them, my fuzz-face, zombii, and tone-bender pick up a little of the radio station. I guess I will just have to move  ;D

chromesphere

Quote from: gtr2 on April 27, 2012, 01:38:54 AM
I only really have a problem with higher gain stuff...

Josh

The only circuit i have had external noise issues with is the Dr Boogey.  The noise was louded then the effect!  I get some hum with some effects, but its usually very low, and goes away when its boxed up.  I can hear the effect clearly.

I wonder if you could get the top of an enclosure, ground it and place it over the board?  Wont be as good as a fully boxed up effect, but atleast you might be able to hear it?
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube