News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz and Karate shop (harmonic energizer) in one box?

Started by claytushaywood, April 21, 2012, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I recently completed the karate shop and got it working nicely.  I think this effect does best with distortion, maybe even fuzz, so i was thinking itd be cool to put it in a box with a fuzz.  just looking for some opinions here....

would it be best before or after a 1.) fuzz 2.) overdrive?

I just completed some veros of the devi ever torn's peaker and soda meiser- the devi shoe gazer is both of these circuits in series with one another inside one box.  I was thinking it would be cool to put the karate shop in the middle... any thoughts?

Reason I'm asking is that my big tube amp is down and all i have to test these on is a small practice bass amp at the moment.  Which I'm about to do, but I dont know if I'll really get definitive results.

stecykmi

the karate shop is a pretty dramatic EQ shaping circuit. with that in mind, it's still a matter of personal taste. Usually, if you put a filter AFTER a distortion/fuzz effect, the effect is more pronounced since it filters the extra harmonics generated by the distortion. try searching for videos or clips of people testing a wah pedal before and after fuzz pedals, since a wah is another type of EQ circuit, you'll notice similar changes in tone with karate shop.

it's also fairly easy to rig up an effects order switcher, although you need a 3pdt switch to do it.

if I were to do it, I would put the KS after a fuzz, but before an overdrive. my reasoning is filtered fuzz sounds really cool and I think KS->OD would sound cool for solos.

claytushaywood

Yeh I really dont know why I asked this question... It's all a matter of opinion and I personally like options.  I do like the idea of multiple pedals in one box, but I like options.  I guess my best options on the fly would come from wiring up multiple pedals in single boxes and doing the stomp reverse order switch. 

On that note... my favorite out of order effect is putting a reverb before a compressor.  Especially like a 5 knob comp or even a rack comp that you can control release on and what not.  if you get the right settings- i think its something like a high sensitivity or a steep cut off- so that anything below the threshold drops off completely- you get a really cool gated effect!