News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel - pulverized a pad!

Started by Bret608, April 16, 2012, 02:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Thanks Jacob! I met up with my electronics guru at the lab here at work and provided him with that information. He looked at my board under the monster magnifying glass again, and then went after it with a continuity tester. I don't believe my DMM has that function but will check! It rules.

Anyway, R25 was good going to C15 and C17, but my hunch was correct that R25 to Q3 was not connected. It seems I wasn't able to get the remaining pad on R25 hot enough to take enough solder. He maintained that the pad wasn't completely trashed, and was able to get it filled up nicely using one of the nicer Weller stations (the light blue one).

The technique was really cool--I had gotten a nice (perhaps excessive) amount on C15, which had the R25 lead going into it. He got some solder of the tip of the iron and held it on the remaining good part of the R25 pad. The solder on C15 sort of jumped across the broken parts of R25 to meet the good ones! Interesting how that works.

So, the continuity test shows it's all good now in that area. I've only got a few components to go before I can test this and hopefully box it. Thanks for talking me back from the edge, everyone!