News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - Aussie 12-string goodness

Started by jubal81, April 29, 2012, 03:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I drove up to Raleigh today to check out a Maton 12-string electric and after 5 minutes I knew I had to bring it home. It feels and sounds incredible. I finally had to put it down after my fingertips couldn't take any more.

It's made out of Queensland Maple, which I've read is more like mahogany than what we think of as maple. The wood feels different than anything I've come across. It was resonating so hard I could feel the underside of my chair vibrate. Crazy.

Single coil neck and humbucker in the bridge, which has a coil tap switch - lots of different sounds in there.

There are a few things I'm going to swap out - nut, knobs, etc., but I feel like I scored a really great guitar. It's not quite in the league of a Rick, but it's a fine guitar and well worth the $900 I gave for it. It was tough finding out how to order one if I were to buy a new one, but I finally found a store that would ship a new one to me for $1,800  :o

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

greyscales

You lucky, lucky man. I've been eyeballing those Maton electrics a lot recently. Not the most traditional guitars, but not radical either.

You should do a demo sometime.  ;)

jubal81

I don't have any good mics around, but I might just use the iPhone to do a quicky recording this week after I give it some TLC and fresh strings.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair