News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

King of Rock (Aristocrat)

Started by mgwhit, April 10, 2012, 02:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

This is the first MadBean board I ever assembled, but for a number of reasons I never got around to boxing it up until today.  I made a total hash of the first enclosure -- bad finish, bad drilling -- and eventually just threw it out and started over.  I think I used 33n caps for C1 and C12.  Red channel has the high gain option.

I finished all the wiring this afternoon, but the Red channel wasn't working.  It had worked outside the box, so I figured it was a wiring error or a short.  Signal was disappearing at R10 on the board, and it turned out to be a bad joint on the Tone pot.  Luckily I was able to get my iron underneath the board and fix it pretty easily, but that meant I didn't finish until my five-year-old was in bed.  Sounds pretty weak at low volume, but then again what doesn't?  I'll give it a real workout tomorrow morning.

The 3PDT PCBs and pot condoms are from GuitarPCB.  The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed the 4558's on the board.  I don't remember putting them in there originally and I didn't notice them until after I took the photos.  I've since swapped in 4580D's on both sides.

bigrigg

Looks nice and neat.  Get the kids out of the house and crank that mother up and see what she can do!

mgwhit

My wife is taking my son to my parents' house later this morning.  Let there be Rock!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mgwhit

Much more exciting with my 5f2a Tweed Princeton up between 4 and 5!  I experimented with Red=Distortion/Yellow=Overdrive and Red=Overdrive/Yellow=Boost modes before settling on both channels configured for Overdrive (Red=3:00/Yellow=Noon), each set for only a hair above unity gain.  They sound great independently and combined.

I've got a limited testing setup here at home with just a tele and the small tweed combo.  Gonna take this to band practice on Sunday and see how it sounds with humbuckers and higher gain amps.

nzCdog

Nice job man, really tidy.  I have a couple of pedals I want to rebuild too, now my enclosure chops are a little less rusty.  Great build

mgwhit

Thanks!  It's not as tidy as it looks, but I'm happy with how it turned out.  That's a lot of wire to jam into one enclosure.