Making certain circuits (eg Rangemaster) play nice with comps and buffers

Started by midwayfair, March 30, 2012, 05:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I did some research online recently and just couldn't find much of anything on this subject.

Does anyone have some simple(ish) solutions to effects like Rangemasters not getting along with buffers and compressors? (I've experienced this in some other simpler distortion effects, too.) I use an orange squeezer as my always on effect, and that keeps me from using the Rangemaster especially (I can't put it before the comp or the comp "eats" all the boost, and it freaks out when it's after). It seems a shame to let all the Rangemaster I've built recently languish in a cabinet somewhere. :D

There are two things I'm hearing here:
1) Increased volume;
2) HUGE increase in treble frequencies (clearly the comp is boosting these closer to unity, and the rangemaster is )

I had a couple ideas, though I'm not sure any is a good (read: workable) solution:
1) put a hard-wired or switchable low-pass at the input ... hardly ideal, but I might be able to find good values to make the treble frequencies at the input stage softly "bend" back down to where they would normally be if the comp was off, and then the Rangemaster would boost what it's supposed to.
2) Less ideal (because it's going to be a lot of work and makes fitting things in small enclosures less likely), an extra input stage like on the Lunar Module or Screwdriver.
3) Tinker with the input impedence of the Rangemaster [I have a feeling this is not an option]

But I have a feeling someone else out there has decided to solve this issue before ... anyone care to share?

sgmezei

Have you tried doing an input blend cap for the rangemaster. It works as sort of an "EQ" for the frequencies boosted. I love mine.

midwayfair

Quote from: sgmezei on March 30, 2012, 06:51:06 PM
Have you tried doing an input blend cap for the rangemaster. It works as sort of an "EQ" for the frequencies boosted. I love mine.

Yup, none are "stock" Rangemasters (the simplest is the Madbean suggested values). Even on the "darkest" full boost settings (one goes all the way up to about .055uF, a little beyond full range of a guitar's notes) the highs are ridiculously more prominent than normal with the comp or anything with a buffer in front.