News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Caps for Double Flush Tremolo?

Started by Micpoc, August 07, 2012, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

I'm finishing up a couple of builds and have a question regarding the Madbean Double Flush Tremolo. Could someone recommend a make of capacitor for C6, C7, and C8? I have a couple that are huge and won't fit, which I think are Topmay. I'd prefer ordering from Small Bear or one of the other dedicated pedal part suppliers, as I'm trying to avoid Mouser shipping costs.  Any ideas?

irmcdermott

Small Bear sells these and they have a 5mm spacing, so will work there.

Micpoc

Quote from: irmcdermott on August 07, 2012, 02:48:24 PM
Small Bear sells these and they have a 5mm spacing, so will work there.

I believe those are the ones I have and, though the lead spacing is correct, the physical size of the capacitor is quite large, equal to the size of the 1uF caps used for C2 and C3. For example, the 9v hole and the extra ground hole are completely covered by the large gray plastic case of the cap. All the build pics I've seen use much smaller capacitors.

calciferspit

don't put them in all the way into the board and you should be able to work around them.

Micpoc

Quote from: calciferspit on August 07, 2012, 04:21:01 PM
don't put them in all the way into the board and you should be able to work around them.

I don't have them handy right now but, IIRC, the leads are much too short to allow for that approach, and artificially lengthening leads is a major headache (I've done it before). Plus, I really don't want caps hanging off the side or standing too high - effectively doubling the height when there HAS to be appropriately sized parts available.

irmcdermott

Can you take a picture of your caps? Those topmays I linked are not that big, IIRC. Here's the datasheet. What I linked are the 63V caps. looks like the 330n might be tall, but the other dimensions don't seem to far off.

Micpoc

Quote from: irmcdermott on August 07, 2012, 04:57:47 PM
Can you take a picture of your caps? Those topmays I linked are not that big, IIRC. Here's the datasheet. What I linked are the 63V caps. looks like the 330n might be tall, but the other dimensions don't seem to far off.

I don't have access to them right now, but looking at the data sheet, the one that I did install (C6 330n) doesn't jibe with the data sheet, which makes me wonder about whether or not I have the wrong cap installed and/or in mind. I've sent an email to Steve at Small Bear to confirm size; thanks for the heads up.  :)

irmcdermott