News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Differences in CA3080s?

Started by frankie5fingers, February 28, 2012, 03:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

I see few types of these for sale, the older Harris can, the newer Harris 8 legged, Intersil and the reissue(?) intersil from Rochester.  I'm wondering if it's worth scouring the planet for an old RCA CA3080?  Has anyone compared them in a Ross Comp?

jkokura

I have used 3 different types of CA3080's in the same circuit. My test wasn't definitive the way I would like it to be, but rather something I did for myself by myself.

I found there to be no difference between the silicon Harris, the metal can, and the Intersil I had. I have also used both NOS Intersil and modern production types and I can't tell the difference.

Honestly, it's like asking if theres a difference between old 4558s and new 4558s. I think common thought at this point is that if it's a properly done IC, there should be no differences. If there are, they shouldn't be labeled with the same numbers.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

frankie5fingers

That's what I would have thought, but...
I see the older RCA CA3080's are selling for $20.00 per copy, and there aren't too many copies.  IME, it's usually more a case of the rarity Vs the (actual) mojo that drives the prices up, but then again, there's no question some older parts, (tubes?) that are simply better made with better materials.
I'm relatively new to amp and pedal building so excuse what may be stupid questions, but I'll certainly be better served by asking those with the relevant experience before making my own assumptions.  I appreciate the reply.

jkokura

Rarity and Mojo drive up the prices. The same people selling the stuff say things like, "you'll hear the difference," which then convinces their customers that they do. In reality there's no measureable difference, and if you do hear something different I would attribute it more to mass hysteria than to actual audible differences.

You can hear the difference between one type of IC and another if they are significantly different, or between metal film and carbon comp resistors, but it's not really reasonable to hear the differences between two different manufacturers IC's of the same type.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on February 29, 2012, 03:33:46 PM
or between metal film and carbon comp resistors,

I can't. At least not at 9v. But I have very decidedly non-golden ears.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects