News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first three builds: Fatpants, Fuzz, and Runt

Started by NightOwl, May 24, 2012, 01:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightOwl

I've just finished boxing the last of my first three pedals, thanks to a lot of help from mgwhit  ;D  The first one I finished was my Echoplex Plus, which is the Fatpants and I stuck in a 1590A enclosure.  Next I completed a Onsie fuzz pcb that I got from culturejam.  Then today I finished my Take Off pedal, which is a Runt. Strangely enough, the baby board pcb is the only one I put into a 1590B enclosure... oh well.

I am much too embarassed to post gut shots of my rat's nest inside, and looking at some of the great enclosures lots of you guys make, I'm a bit ashamed of my own. But I'm just happy enough that they work!  Here's the pics:

The Onesie Fuzz, the LED is supposed to be "ultra violet" but it mostly looks bluish. I got the painted enclosure from PPP.

The Echoplex Plus I really wanted to use one of those clear pots and knobs!  Painted the enclosure myself and tried to create a speckle/sparkle finish with silver paint.

Lastly the Take Off / Runt PCB, this is my first attempt at painting a gradient which I thought went ok, but is still a bit grainier than I'd like.  I also used a light plate and the pedal glows red when bypassed and blue when engaged.

bigrigg

The Take Off looks very good.  Great names for the knobbies and nice colour.  Really impressive for your first attempts.  Congrats.

jkokura

Those look great! Welcome to building your own pedals! Super start, much better than my first builds. No gut shots for us?

Getting a light plate going for 125B pedals would be something I would really like.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mgwhit

"Take Off" looks great.  Love the gradient and the graphics!  I love building these things, but my enclosure art is always so lame.

Did you cram the latest Fat Pants board into the 1590A or is that the old one?  Been wondering about that....

NightOwl

Thanks guys!  The Fatpants is the newest version of the board, I found that it just fits in there.  Gut shots as requested, I could definitely stand to have neater wiring   :) :

midwayfair

Very nice builds! Awesome work on the Fatpants, too. I have a friend who says that the only thing wrong with the EPB is that the knob doesn't light up. :)

whitebread47

Nice builds, really dig the graphics on the "Take Off."  Your wiring is nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion.  I've built about 5 pedals so far, none in enclosures smaller than 1590B, and my wiring doesn't look amazing in those.  I commend you for pulling it off right out the gate in those 1590A's!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

mgwhit

Quote from: NightOwl on May 24, 2012, 04:04:59 AM
Thanks guys!  The Fatpants is the newest version of the board, I found that it just fits in there.

Thanks!  That saves me from having to post a WTB for the old version.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

I agree on the Takeoff! Really classy paint job. I haven't stepped up to painting my own enclosures yet.

I really like that PPP color on the Fat Pants. Which of their colors is that?

NightOwl

Quote from: Bret608 on May 24, 2012, 02:14:18 PM
I really like that PPP color on the Fat Pants. Which of their colors is that?
Thanks, I painted the EP+ myself, I just coated it black and sprayed bursts of silver from a distance over it.

If you mean the Fuzz though, it's one of their standard colors called "Candy Teal".