News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard questions

Started by Fulltester, February 21, 2012, 08:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulltester

Hello I'm riding the Boneyard, so far does not sound effect, only boster does ,

not know if my list of components is correct for the values ​​of the caps, because I thought it worked in 9 vol did not think the ic 7660 when purchasing components, and checked all the welds,

and seen a post with the values ​​of voltages of the ic, where I put the ground tester to measure ic s?

My values ​​for the measure you ics are different tan the forum post, my ic is LF347N and S 7660.
Here are the values ​​writed on my caps:
 C1; 331
 C2; 22J63
 C3 Wima .033 250 -
 C4, 331
 C5 2.2 uF 50V
 C6, 47J63
 C7-; 68nJ100
 C8 47J63
 C9 151
 C10, 100uF 25V
 C11, 10uF 63V
 C12, 10uF 63V.
 All resistors are of the value of the project. In the picture is a tantalum cap same value for c12 ( just for test ) and leds are yellow for test too I tried de red ones but dont work ...
I hope your help thank you very much!

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/Fulltester/CIMG1937.jpg

jkokura

Hey, I moved your post to the right area - welcome to the forum.

I can tell english isn't your first language, so I hope you're able to understand what I'm thinking.

Right now, it seems like you're unsure of why your pedal isn't working. I can tell you that there are usually 4 major reasons.

1. An incorrect part on the PCB (wrong value)
2. A backwards part on the pCB (wrong orientation)
3. A poorly installed part on the PCB (bad soldering)
4. Incorrect wiring (wires connect to the wrong places)

You need to check and recheck those things at this point. As for your parts, If you need more info about your part values, I suggest you look here: http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/capacitor-code-calculator.php. That website is a code calculator for capacitors. For instance, when you put 331 and K into the calculator, you get a value of 330pF with a +/- %10 tolerance. With some of your other capacitors, they will not work with that calculator, for instance: 47J63 will not work. However, I can tell you that the numbers will work this way.

47J63 =
47 = value for capacitor, probably 47nF
J = tolerance, representing +/- %5
63 = voltage rating, representing 63V power handling capability

Last but not least, you may need to check out a converstion chart. This is a great one: http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html. With some of your capacitors you have things like .033, but that's a uF measurement. Using the chart, you can see that .033uF is the same as 33nF. So if you're questioning whether that's the right part, you can convert it to the different measurements to see if it is.

Anything else? You should check out the 'rules for getting tech help' thread. It has a lot of pointers to help you get started.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

oldhousescott

Your capacitor values seem to match the Boneyard documentation, except for C9 which should be 22pF. You have 150pF which should not make that much of a difference.

Make sure the tantalum capacitor is installed correctly. There should be a black line or '+' symbol indicating the positive leg. Your other electrolytic capacitors look to be installed correctly.

Place the ground lead of your voltage meter to the G1 or G2 connection on the board. You can do this on the top side of the board as shown in your picture, just make sure it is touching the bare wire going to that connection. Touch the other lead to each IC pin, one at a time, and record the DC voltages.

EDIT: sorry, I see the "modified" version calls for 150pF at C9.

mgwhit

Have you triple checked the value of your R5?  It looks yellow-violet-black-ORANGE to me, which would be 470K (instead of 47R) and would prevent IC1A from doing any significant amplification.  Apologies if I'm just mis-seeing the color of that multiplier band.

I couldn't see your R10, but that's another R rather than K value that you might want to triple check.  Good luck!

oldhousescott

Good catch! Even if it's yellow-violet-black-red, that's still 47k, not 47r. Max gain with the 250k hi-gain pot in place would only be x6, maybe just getting into clipping with a hot pickup.

Fulltester

Yes ,I´m spanish ,my english is poor sorry! But I try ...

Thank s to all for the answers! The links are awesome thanks jacob!

I re-check the resistors tomorrow, I tested today the pedal with a guitar with P90 pickups,it sound but have no saturation , the tone control works the volume and the booster control works , the gain and the crunch controls don´t response , The pots are the values recomended for madbean, all the stuff is brand new no recicled parts , when I checked all the resistors I try to mesure the values of the ics pins and report to this forum ,Thanks again to everybody !

Fulltester

Hi !  I dont know how to say thankyou! :) :)

Finally I check R5 and you right it´s 470K in my pedal!  ???Yes I´m wrong ...I don´t know how not I see it before...

I change it (now is the only recicled part of the circuit , it comes from an VHS Sharp Video recorder .)  and it works perfect !

I feel good but stupid at same time, cause I was checking it during a week...I was obssessed with the caps and the ic´s,don´t ask me why!

Well now I readed the how to have help tech in the forum...and the next time I rest during some days before to check and post.

This is not my first pedal but ussually I debug all without no more than three days, at this time I feel so stupid because I read a lot of times the formu but never before need to say Heeeelp!

Thanks to everybody for the support !

When I got it finish I link some pictures and audio demos ,but everybody knows madbean sounds awesome ! 

And sorry my english !

mgwhit

Glad to hear it!  Thank you for posting the photo.  That makes remote debugging so much easier.