News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adobe Illustrator?

Started by Bret608, February 16, 2012, 05:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Does anyone around here use Adobe Illustrator, whether for graphics, drilling templates, or what? I just realized I have this available at my job and am doing the math! I'd love to be able to hit someone up for tips, or even just a pedal-related template I could play around with to help the learning process.

jimmybjj

That is a pretty popular vector graphics program and many people use it, I'm sure a couple of the guys on the board use it. But I think the majority of the guys using vector graphics on this board are using Inkscape. It is a open source, free program. That last attribute makes it a very attractive option for most, including myself.
Pcbs no longer available

jonrhee

I used it. You can open the PDF Datasheets off Hammonds site and the diagrams come up as different objects which makes really easy drill templates.

gtr2

You can import pdf's into Inkscape as well.

I use Inkscape and photoshop.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

Thanks everybody; this is really helpful. I'll probably dabble around with Illustrator at work, just to get the hang of this type of program, then try Inkscape for home. Will definitely check out the PDFs of the Hammond enclosures too!

eldanko

I use Illustrator for all of my designs.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.  It's great for importing the drill templates and then designing on top of them...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Bret608

You bet! I totally will and thanks for offering. This will be a big improvement over making hand measurments on Brian's templates to send to PPP. Not to mention that having the ability to design some labels will finally be a possibility for me...

Cheers,

Bret

eldanko

Just for kicks...

Here's a sample of how I do things, with layers for the MadBean drill layout (if provided), artwork, custom drill guides, etc.  It might help get you started.  I would say don't steal my design, but it's pretty apparent that I already stole it from Ben & Jerry's so I suppose that would be hypocritical :)

http://www.danekinser.com/gear/BassOctaveSample.ai

If you want one for a different sized enclosure, I can upload more as well.  Just let me know.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

plesur

I've posted this link before, but here it is again:
http://www.ontheroadeffects.com/vectorpack/

It's a free set of EPS files that you can use straight in Illustrator, with knobs, switches, enclosures, etc.

Really good for laying stuff out.

Bret608

Hey thanks, eldanko and plesur! This will be really helpful. The vector art pack has just about anything I can think of at the moment.

Just doing the math on what the two of you have shown me so far, it looks like you can lay out your whole box, drilling template, knobs, graphic, etc. before committing anything to a drill bit or decal paper. I'm also guessing the program will let you print out only the graphic onto a decal paper, with the box and drill hole images staying in the background as it were. Am I on the right track here?

plesur

Quote from: Bret608 on February 17, 2012, 03:30:26 PM
I'm also guessing the program will let you print out only the graphic onto a decal paper, with the box and drill hole images staying in the background as it were. Am I on the right track here?

Yes, you can do that as long as you keep the separate parts of your art work on different layers and hide the ones you don't want to print.

jtn191

I've just gotten into using Photoshop too and my biggest questions surround scaling and sizing...I think there's a video on this forum I'll go watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOG5zE0sNE