News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener wah with external expression pedal

Started by Liustucru, February 12, 2012, 05:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello,
I am about to build a Weener wah but I hate CryBaby-like enclosures.
I'm looking mainly for fixed wah sounds but with the option of pluging an expression pedal for more a conventional wah use.

Then, I am big fan of Gilmour and want to mod the Weener Wah for gull sounds He did on Echoes. It consists essentially in switching the output to the input.
Actually, I wanna use the Weener board to make my own Gullmour Wah from Eye Rock Electronics http://www.eyerocktronics.com/index.php

Can I simply replace the 100k ICAR pot with a standard 100kB pot ?

I think I can use this kind of jack : http://www.banzaimusic.com/Jack-STE-LUGS-ECO.html to disconnect the pot when I plug the expression pedal but I don't really know how to do it exactly. Moreover all expression pedals are usually not 100k.

Thank you for the help.

Liustucru

Sorry to insist but did anyone ever try to add an expression pedal control to a modulation FX ???

I would have liked to add this feature to the Karate Shop too.

Thank you for your help.

JakeFuzz

You could do it. I am not sure about the David Gilmour whale and seagull noises but certainly fixed wah has its use.

I would use a stereo jack (TRS). Additionally you will want normally connected (NC) switches on both the tip and the ring. This means your jack should have at least 5 lugs. I think Neutrik makes something, but you would probably have to get it from Mouser or Digikey. Because one lug of the wah pot is already connected to ground just make that the sleeve connection. The other two parts of the voltage divider you can send through the tip and ring. The normally connected switches will switch between the fixed pot inside the enclosure and the expression pedal when the jack is plugged in. Yes you can use the 100KA pot, that is what my wah is using right now and it sounds fantastic!

JakeFuzz

Oh wow I didn't know what you were talking about when you said switch the input and output of the wah. That is too cool. You could hook up a switch pretty easily to switch those. What would be really cool is if you could hook up the switch so when you are in the "Gilmour Seagull" mode the expression pedal becomes a volume pedal  :o now that would be awesome. You might need one huge switch though.

JakeFuzz

Oh yes...  ;D six poles, that's what it takes. I just ordered a 6PDT changeover pushbutton switch and I am going to try this in my wizard wah. Ill let you know how it goes.