News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current lover weird modulation

Started by djaaz, January 08, 2012, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

id say your voltage readings are largely the same to mine
time to play with some trimmers me thinks.

djaaz

Replacing C18 nailed it! Thank you guys for the help.

I socketed it & then tried a 10pf & then with 15 pf and it's working again.

That's crazy because it worked at first try and i don't know what happened when i boxed it.

Anyway, i now have some tiny but ugly distortion in the signal and i could not get rid of it.

The bias trimmer is all the way up the clock, the clock trimmer is almost all the way down.
T1 is at 11.

Will change C18 to higher value tomorrow & see if it help with the distortion.

Thanks again for all your help!

madbean

You can also socket R12 and try a lower value. It may be that your particular build wants to bias a little bit closer to 15v than it can get with that 82k resistor there.

djaaz

Thanks Brian.

Was thinking about giving a bit more room to the trimmer by changing the resistor value around it.

What about using a road rage to actually bias it for 15V?

lloyd17

Sorry for the late reply. I had a road rage built up for my dirtbag which is now waiting for chips so it went right into the current lover during boxing. Fixed all my bias problems right up: nice and clean, nice and deep flanging and over the top feedback without oscillation with the trimmers resting in a much more neutral position. The circuit sounds far far better at 15v than 9v with 3007 chips imo.

LaceSensor

Quote from: lloyd17 on January 24, 2012, 04:29:25 AM
The circuit sounds far far better at 15v than 9v with 3007 chips imo.

what chip you got in your roadrage circuit?
Will a max1044 work? colour me interested in running mine at 15v

If its built for 9v, is it simply a case of adding the chargepump and connecting the +DC to the output of said circuit? Thanks

(obviously all caps need to be at least 16v I spose, or 25v to be safe?)

djaaz

Quote from: lloyd17 on January 24, 2012, 04:29:25 AM
Sorry for the late reply. I had a road rage built up for my dirtbag which is now waiting for chips so it went right into the current lover during boxing. Fixed all my bias problems right up: nice and clean, nice and deep flanging and over the top feedback without oscillation with the trimmers resting in a much more neutral position. The circuit sounds far far better at 15v than 9v with 3007 chips imo.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm actually waiting for another roadrage & the 1n5817 diodes to arrive but i could also use the board sitting there for the dirtbag's roadrage that is also waiting for their chips.

lloyd17

I should say it sounds much better at 15v vs 9v due to easier biasing. I was able to clear out all of the distortion minus a bit of edge on the sweep when depth and feedback are way up. I'm pretty sure that's normal though since I have the feedback trim set just under oscillation. At 9v the sweep always had a grind to it that could not be dialed out with the trims.

For the road rage I use 25v caps, LT1054IP and KA7815AETU all from Mouser.

djaaz

Ready to box!
My build is a complete different animal with a roadrage pouring 15v in it.

I played with different values for C18 cap and finally put back the 22pf. I could not find a distinctive value there, from 10 to 47: not easy to tell. Rebiasing it makes it difficult anyway.
I guess i need to play it now and change this value from time to time but i'm happy as it is and i'll probably forget about it.

I really like this one, Brian, Thanks!