News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

6. MUDBUNNY Big Muff Civil War specs

Started by Liustucru, February 12, 2012, 11:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Last post for today before showering, eating and going rehearsing with my band.
This one was for a band mate who wants a Big Muff. I chose the Civil War specs because it sounded best IMO in Youtube videos I watched.
I added the MIDS control for more flexibility and it rocks !!!
I wanted to try to put the jacks on top to save some space in his pedalboard but it was pretty hard to fit in. So I planned to round base of the jacks and it worked.
Orange powder coated 125B enclosure from Small Bear. It comes great.
I like the 4 knob layout with the LED at the center.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Nice! This is the same way I've been laying my Big Muff's out recently! Did you change the tonestack to get more sweep from your mids knob?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Diamond

Did you experiment with different types of transistors and diodes?

Liustucru

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 13, 2012, 04:55:40 PM
Nice! This is the same way I've been laying my Big Muff's out recently! Did you change the tonestack to get more sweep from your mids knob?

I ended up changing R18 to 3.3k and C10 to 22nf following your suggestions actually !!!
So thank you for the advice and nice to meet you !

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 15, 2011, 08:29:33 PM
I too found at first with basic mod suggestions the mids knob was very subtle. I change R18 to 3.3k but you can go lower around 1k if you wish. Then change C10 from 4n to 12/15/22nf..I usually go with 22nf. You should get much more variation (mids scoop,flat,boosted) after these changes. Note this will only affect the treble side of the tone stack because of how its set up. Really helps to get rid of harsh high end and produce a much smoother tone even fully CW on tone knob. To get a real mids knob you'd have to do something like the james tone control.

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's the ticket!
My other favorite mod is jumpering the emitter resistors for the first three gain stages. That's if you wanna squeeze more gain out of it.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals