News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD 2013 GIbson SG

Started by selfdestroyer, January 26, 2014, 01:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

So with a few people on here grabbing SG's I got the bug to get one. I have a SJ china copy with P90's that is an ok toss around guitar but the neck needs to be reset because the action is forever high. Been a PIA to say the least. I have been dealing with Sweetware for a few months and decided to call my rep and see what he can do for me on a SGJ. He gave me some quotes and then he asked me what I thought about buying a demo unit, I was fine with it as long as I can see some pictures of it first. Thats no problem for Sweetwater because they have photos of most of their guitars for sale. It was a 2013 Gibson SJ 60's tribute. I fell in love with it when I saw it and he knocked another $150 off of it. I ended up getting the whole thing for just over $600.

Looking online about the guitar it got good reviews other than gibson choosing to call it a "60's tribute" even though the only thing 60's about it was the feel of the neck. lol

It got here this afternoon and its been a blast to play. Even with the factory setup, it was not that bad.

A closer shot of the body

Im thinking of pulling the knobs and putting some old hats on there since I am not a huge fan of the speed knobs. I will also be removing the truss rod cover and put a 3/4 layer black on one and get rid of the "60's tribute" logo.

lars

Awesome guitar. Good call on the knobs. Never been much of a fan of the speed knobs either. Some of the classic chrome top bell knobs would look great.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

Pickguard less SGs are really hot!

Nice grab!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

raulduke

God that's a beaut.

Nice score!

Bret608

Awesome looking guitar. How are the pickups?

So with Sweetwater, you can just talk to them and they'll make deals like that? I was not at all aware they would do this. Maybe I should give them a closer look.

pryde

Very cool SG.

The best thing about SG's are the shallow set necks (into the body) which make for a easily bendable neck for built in vibrato action  :)

m-Kresol

That is a nice looking guitar - and I guess playing wise too.
Everytime you post pics, I'm like "Hey, I've got the same carpet!" Nice choice :D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Thanks everyone, Its a great guitar so far and it far different from my Jazzmaster and my Jaguar that I am super excited to have it. Man these pickups sound great with a few pedals I had that did not sound good to me with my Fenders. Like the RAH clone I did, I almost gave that pedal away and I am SO glad I held on to it.

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 27, 2014, 07:28:50 PM
That is a nice looking guitar - and I guess playing wise too.
Everytime you post pics, I'm like "Hey, I've got the same carpet!" Nice choice :D

HAHA I do the same also. I have that "Did I post that picture" moment every time I see someones picture with that rug.

m-Kresol

I'll try to get my rug on the next pics I post. Hopefully my parts will arrive this week so I can work on my three function-fx pedals, so you'll see some soon.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Kinki fuzz

Great looking guitar!! Good taste you have for guitars! (Loved the jaguar too!). I would add a pick guard, but that's me.

...I'm considering the carpet too, not joking! ::)

RobA

Congrats, that's a sweet looking SG. Easy way to get rid of the logo on the truss rod cover -- I hit mine with some orange oil by accident when I was oiling the fretboard, the white of the logo dissolved right off. I had to wipe the rest of the logo off to make it look better. It did look better without the white SGJ. In the end, I replaced the truss rod cover with a chrome one.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

atreidesheir

good looker.
How did you get the extra $150 off the price.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

selfdestroyer

Quote from: atreidesheir on January 27, 2014, 11:51:55 PM
good looker.
How did you get the extra $150 off the price.

That was more of their doing since its a demo unit. There is not much wiggle room to haggle with them but I also put in a $1200 order for my work 4 days before I bought this. Might have helped. lol

It was really just perfect timing on my part since I was calling to see what SGJ's they had in stock and he told me about the super clean demo unit that came available.