News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosed vs open Jack size?

Started by pryde, January 26, 2012, 02:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

I am building a zombii and currently trying to use open 1/4 jacks but have a clearance issue with the edge of the jack and part of the circuit board because of the way i have the layout configured.

My question: is an enclosed jack "smaller" in terms of overall width compared to an open jack? I don't have any enclosed jacks to measure. If even a millimeter or 2 would be helpful. Thanks for your help.

JakeFuzz

I find that my open style jacks are actually more space efficient than the enclosed jacks. I can rotate the open jacks so the tip contact is out of the way of certain objects as long as I maintain sufficient tip and sleeve clearance. With enclosed jacks you physically have to maintain a certain distance from objects.

DutchMF

An enclosed jack is about 16 mm (5/8") square and sticks about 24 mm (just under 1") into the box. You can find dimensional drawings of most parts on websites from Neutrik, Switchcraft, Lumberg and probably many more. Hope this helps!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stecykmi

if the solder tabs are the issue, you can bend them out of the way a little bit. i do this sometimes to get a little more room in my enclosures.

sgmezei

I agree with Misha and JakeFuzz. I bulk order the open framed jacks and bend the solder tabs in a little bit to make them easier to fit. I usually rotate the jack to move the tip out of the way as well.